Juicy chicken loaded with pesto and aged cheddar? And it’s low carb? Count me in!
At no additional cost to you, I make a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. All items are tools or ingredients I have used myself or I wouldn’t recommend them to you!Jump to Recipe
Juicy chicken! Mouth watering pesto! And do I dare get started on aged white cheddar cheese? Don’t tell my husband, but I have a love affair going on with aged white cheddar cheese… There’s really nothing better than that first slice, your taste buds explode and a slight drool sometimes escapes… No? Just me?
Back to the cheese of course, this time I used Barbars vintage aged white cheddar. I’m on a Barbars kick at the moment. Really, just about any cheese would go beautifully in this recipe. Parmesan, Mozzarella, Gouda, Feta… I’ve done them all with great success!
How to make Chicken Pesto Rollup
Pound the chicken breasts until they are super flat. Spread pesto all over the breasts and cover with shredded cheese. Roll up the chicken and place into an oven proof baking dish seam down. Top with paprika and salt, and bake for 30 minutes!
Whoops! Wacked my chicken flat but forgot to grate my cheese first! Don’t you hate that? Thank goodness for this genius cutting board! Slipped off the plastic board with the raw chicken and grated away! Then slipped it back on after! Genius…
What to serve with Chicken Pesto Rollup
You can make a cheese sauce for this chicken or leave it as is for a healthier meal. Tonight we had this with seasoned roasted yams and my favourite Mama Bears Garden Salad. Delish!
Low Carb? Try these:
Dice them up and make a sandwich – Chicken Pesto Panini! Or slice them up and bake them on a pizza – like this epic Fathead Chicken Pesto Pizza! Craving a salad? Chicken Pesto Salad is delicious!
I hope you love this Chicken Pest Rollup as much as my family and I do!
Like this recipe? Try these:
Subscribe to Mama Bear’s monthly newsletter so you don’t miss out on the latest and greatest recipes!
Pin this for later!
Chicken Pesto Rollup
- 2 chicken breasts deboned and skinned
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 1/2 cup aged white cheddar cheese grated
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Using a meat mallet, pound the chicken breasts from the centre out, until they are nice and flat.
- Spread 2 tbsp pesto over each breast, coating evenly. Sprinkle 1/4 cup shredded aged white cheddar cheese over the pesto and roll the breasts up. Place into a small oven proof dish with the seam down. Top off each rollup with a pinch each of paprika and salt.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove tin foil and bake another 15-20 minutes, until a thermometer reads 180° internally. Serve hot!
Nutrition facts are an estimate only! The ingredients you choose could have different nutritional values than the ingredients I have used.
* Net carb count excludes both fibre and sugar alcohols, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people.
Per chicken breast:
Calories: 312 Net Carbs: 2 Protein: 13 Fat:26