No joke, this Keto Shepherd’s Pie is more delicious than the traditional version. It’s just a bonus that it’s also guilt free!
At no additional cost to you, I may make a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.
Mmm mmmm, Shepherd’s Pie is comfort food at it’s very best, don’t ya think? Gravy loaded ground beef covered with yummy vegetables, mashed taters and cheesy goodness? Yes please! In this Keto Shepherd’s Pie recipe I switched out the peas, corn and carrots I would normally use for low carb vegetables, and the potatoes I replaced with some delicious cauliflower mash. YUM!!!
Seriously, this Keto Shepherd’s Pie tastes so much yummier than the traditional shepherd’s pie, and you don’t get that awful carb bloat after you’ve finished your meal. I am so pumped about this recipe, especially Nick who is a shepherd’s pie fanatic. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Why it works
- The low carb vegetables we use pair perfectly with the gravy loaded ground beef, making this dish the ultimate layered comfort food.
- No joke, you’ll never believe how much the cauliflower mash tastes like mashed potato. You’ll be pleasantly surprised!
- This dish reheats great, making it an excellent meal for a busy house or small family.
Keto Shepherd’s Pie Ingredients
There are three layers stacked beautifully underneath that cheesy goodness. Here is what you will need for the whole dish:
- ground beef
- olive or avocado oil
- ground black pepper
- beef bouillon base/concentrate
- xanthan gum
- green beans
- sour cream
- Italian parsley
- garlic powder
- sea salt
- grated cheddar cheese
Beef Bouillon Base/Concentrate – My favourite brand is ‘better than bouillon’ organic beef base. Although it does have organic cane sugar in the ingredients, it’s 100% organic and I can pronounce each word in the ingredient list. It also has just 1 g carbs per tsp. Can’t find a bouillon cube or base to live up to your standards? You can just replace the water with beef broth, though it will not be quite as flavourful.
Xanthan Gum – Xanthan Gum is a low carb thickener that I use often in sauce recipes like gravy or Teriyaki Sauce. It also works to bind dough like in this Keto Calzone. I use the brand Bob’s Redmill. You just have to be careful not to use too much. If you don’t have it, or don’t want to use it, there are other ways to make the beef:
- Just skip the xanthan gum and use a little less water in the beef sauce. It will still be flavourful, it just won’t have that gravy-like consistency.
- Replace half the water with heavy cream, then simmer the beef sauce for 15 minutes or so, until the cream has reduced enough to become nice and thick like gravy.
How to make Keto Shepherd’s Pie
There are a few steps involved in making Keto Shepherd’s Pie. Don’t worry, it’s easy, just follow along and if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask!
First things first, heat the oven to 350°, then get the cauliflower chopped up and into the steamer.
Grab a double boiler with a steamer on top and fill the bottom with about an inch of water. Bring it to a boil with the steamer on top and a lid. Chop up the cauliflower and add it to the top steamer section. Steam for about 10 minutes, until the cauliflower is JUST fork tender.
Lift the steamer section out of the bottom pot, dump the water, then empty the cauliflower into the now empty bottom pot. Add the butter to the cauliflower then puree with an immersion blender until smooth. Stir in sour cream, pepper, salt, garlic powder and Italian parsley. Set aside.
Heat a skillet on medium high heat with a touch of oil. Once hot, add some minced onion and cook until translucent. Stir in some minced garlic and black pepper. Cook until fragrant, about a minute, then mix in the ground beef. Cook until the beef is no longer pink.
Stir in the beef bouillon base, then some water. Mix well and bring to a simmer, then sprinkle in the xanthan gum. Cook for an additional minute until thick.
Empty the beef into a 9×13″ baking dish and press into the bottom. Set aside.
Add some butter into the skillet that had the beef and continue to heat on medium high. Once the butter is sizzling, toss in chopped mushrooms and minced onion. Cook until the mushrooms are browned and the onion is translucent.
Mix in the pressed garlic and black pepper and cook for an additional minute until fragrant. Stir in chopped green beans to coat in the yummy flavour, then remove from the heat. Place the veggies over the ground beef and press gently.
Spread the cauliflower mash evenly over the veggies and smooth to finish, then top with shredded cheddar.
Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly. Slice into 12, serve hot and enjoy!
Nick likes sugar free ketchup on his Keto Shepherd’s Pie and I like extra sour cream. What do you like on yours?
See it all go down!
- When adding the xanthan gum, sprinkle it over top of the beef carefully. If you add it all in one spot, it will clump up, like flour does if added to hot recipes.
- Chop the mushrooms and green beans into small, bite sized pieces, for the best texture profile.
- Read the tips on how to make the best cauliflower mash below.
How to make the best cauliflower mash
Have you ever made cauliflower mash and have it turn out more like soup than mashed potatoes? Yuk. Follow these tricks to make it perfect every time:
- The most important is to make sure you do not over steam the cauliflower. This is crucial! If you over steam cauliflower is will be super wet when you go to mash it. You want to steam is until it is JUST fork tender. You will see a lot of recipes ask you to drain the cauliflower after it is steamed, but that it completely unnecessary if you just make sure to not over steam it.
- Buy it fresh! You can never tell how frozen cauliflower is going to turn out, it’s just better if you buy it fresh.
- Do you want to make this cauliflower mash by itself? Try adding some parmesan cheese to the mix for a yummy mashed cauliflower side dish! 😋
Here are some other recipe you may love:
Subscribe to Mama Bear’s monthly newsletter to stay up to date on the latest and greatest recipes!
Keto Shepherd’s Pie
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 heads cauliflower
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup full fat sour cream
- 3 tbsp italian parsley
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- ½ small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 ½ – 2 lbs ground beef
- 4 tsp beef bouillon base
- ½ cup water
- ⅛ tsp xanthan gum
- 1 ½ tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ small onion
- 8 white mushrooms
- ¾ lb green beans
- 2 cloves garlic
- Cutting Board & Knife
- Heat the oven to 350°.
- Set up a double boiler with a couple of inches of water in the bottom pot and a steamer on the top. Heat on high. Wash the cauliflower and chop into bite sized pieces.
- Once the water is boiling, add the cauliflower to the steamer pot and steam for about 10 minutes, until the cauliflower is JUST fork tender. Lift the steamer section out of the bottom pot, dump the water, then empty the cauliflower into the now empty bottom pot.
- Add the butter to the cauliflower then puree with an immersion blender until smooth. Stir in sour cream, pepper, salt, garlic powder and Italian parsley. Set aside.
- Mince the onion and press or mince the garlic. Heat a skillet on medium high heat with oil. Once hot, add the onion and cook until translucent. Stir in the garlic and black pepper. Cook until fragrant, about a minute, then mix in the ground beef. Cook until the beef is no longer pink.
- Stir in the bouillon base, then water. Mix well and bring to a simmer, then sprinkle in the xanthan gum. Cook for an additional minute until thick. Press the beef into the bottom of a 9×13" baking dish.
- Wash the mushrooms, chop in half, then slice into thin slices. Wash the green beans, trim the ends off and cut into 1” sections. Mince the onion and press or mince the garlic.
- Add the butter to the skillet and continue to heat on medium high. Once the butter hot, toss in the mushrooms and onion. Cook until the mushrooms are browned and the onion is translucent. Mix in the garlic and pepper and cook for an additional minute until fragrant. Stir in the green beans to coat, then pour the veggies over the beef and press gently.
- Spread the cauliflower mash evenly over the veggies and smooth to finish.
- Top with cheese and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly. Slice into 12, serve hot and enjoy!