Fall off the bone tender. Perfectly spiced. Ready in under an hour. Easy peasy. These ribs have got it goin’ on!
RIBS!! I LOVE ribs! If I had to eat ribs every single day for lunch and dinner for the rest of my life, I wouldn’t be the slightest bit dissapointed… you know what? I’ve seriously got to stop writing these posts directly after eating the food I’m blogging about…
Yes, these beauties are ready in under an hour, have the perfect combination of spices, are falling off the bone and slathered in a delicious low carb bbq sauce that I can’t seem to get enough of… but the world is wide and the foods are plenty!
Either way, this is a recipe you’ve just got to try.
Why it works
1. Because of our beloved friend, the Instant Pot, we are able to have fall off the bone perfection in under an hour. Under an hour! Ribs!
2. The blend of rub ingredients that is massaged into the ribs is nothing short of perfection. A little sweet, some salty and just the right amount of heat, making these some seriously addicting ribs.
3. Make it your own – choose to broil these ribs with your favourite low carb barbecue sauce, or devour them straight from the pot.
Scroll down to the recipe card for ingredient measurements.
- apple cider vinegar
- liquid hickory smoke
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- sukrin gold
- low carb barbecue sauce
Sukrin gold – It’s a natural sugar free sweetener made with erythritol that mimics brown sugar! Cool hey? I use it for all sorts of recipes like Teriyaki Sauce or No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Freezer Cookies.
Low carb barbecue sauce – You’ll also want a bottle of low carb bbq sauce or you can easily make your own while the ribs are pressure cooking. I live for my homemade Low Carb BBQ Sauce; give it a try!
How to make Keto Instant Pot Ribs
Place the trivet inside your instant pot, then add the water, apple cider vinegar and liquid hickory smoke.
Combine the rub ingredients and mix well. Flip the ribs so that the backside is exposed. Is the membrane still in tact? Often when I buy ribs the membrane has already been removed. If not, take a knife and peel it away. Unsure of what a membrane is? Check out this video.
Massage the whole batch of spice mix into the ribs, front back and sides. You want those ribs fully loaded 😉
Place the ribs inside the Instant Pot, around the trivet, in a circle, so that the meat side faces towards the sides of the Instant Pot, away from the center.
Close the Instant Pot lid and set the steam release valve to the sealed position. Cook on high pressure for 25 minutes then naturally release for at least 10 minutes before carefully quick releasing. If you have time, you can let the ribs naturally release until it’s safe to open the lid.
Now for the sauce
I like to broil my ribs in the oven or barbecue with sauce because I LOVE caramelized bbq sauce! You can absolutely skip this step and head right into the part where you slather the ribs and start chowin’. Otherwise, do this:
Turn your oven onto broil or crank the heat on your barbecue. Line a baking sheet with a non stick baking mat for the oven or if you are going to barbecue these beauties, line a baking sheet with tin foil.
Carefully place the ribs on top – remember, these are fall-off-the-bone-tender so be gentle when removing them. Load ’em up with your low carb bbq sauce then broil or barbecue them for about 5 minutes, until the sauce is perfectly caramelized.
1. Make sure you coat each and every side of the ribs in the rib rub, including along the tips of the protruding bones – we don’t want to miss out on any flavour!
2. Find an excellent sauce! There is a lot to say about good ribs. The cooking technique, the rub and the cut. All are important and have a major part to play in excellent ribs, but to me, none are as essential as the bbq sauce. Ribs a little dry? A little lacking in spice or not your favourite cut? All can be fixed or over looked with an epic bbq sauce. For this reason I make my own.
3. Do you prefer your ribs a little on the chewy side rather than fall-off-the-bone? Try 20 minutes of pressure cooking instead of the 25.
What goes with Keto Instant Pot Ribs?
Looking for a side dish for these delicious ribs? Here’s a list of my favourites:
- Low Carb Broccoli Salad with Bacon, Cheddar and Kale
- Cauliflower Rice and Steamed Veggies
- Cauliflower Potato Salad
- Low Carb Avocado Fries with Chipotle Mayo
- Low Carb Caesar Salad with Kale and Cheese Crisps
Here are some other Instant Pot recipes you may love:
Subscribe to Mama Bear’s monthly newsletter to be kept up to date on the latest and greatest recipes!
Keto Instant Pot Ribs
- 1-1.5 kg pork ribs
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp liquid hickory smoke
- 1 ½ tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- ¼ – 1 tsp cayenne *see notes
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp sukrin gold
- Low Carb BBQ Sauce
- Optional: Baking Sheet with Tin Foil or Non Stick Baking Mat
- Place trivet inside the Instant Pot and pour in the water, apple cider vinegar and liquid hickory smoke. Combine rub ingredients and set aside.
- Flip ribs onto their meaty side and remove the membrane with a knife if still in tact. (Ribs come with the membrane already removed a lot of the time) Massage the whole batch of rub into the ribs, covering all surfaces including the meaty side, the back side and the edges.
- Place the ribs inside the Instant Pot in a circle around the trivet, with the meaty side facing the walls of the Instant Pot and the backside facing the center. Turn the steam release valve to sealed and turn the Instant Pot to high pressure cooking for 25 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release to maximize flavour, or at least as long as you have time for before carefully quick releasing.
Optional / Recommended
- Heat the oven on broil or crank your barbecue. Gently pull the ribs out of the Instant Pot and place carefully onto a non stick baking mat lined baking sheet (for the oven) or tin foil lined baking sheet (for the barbecue).
- Smother with your favourite low carb barbecue sauce or this homemade Low Carb BBQ Sauce. Broil for 5 minutes or barbecue for 5 minutes until the sauce has caramelized. Enjoy!
- Make sure you coat each and every side of the ribs in the rib rub, including along the tips of the protruding bones – we don’t want to miss out on any flavour!
- Find an excellent sauce! There is a lot to say about good ribs. The cooking technique, the rub and the cut. All are important and have a major part to play in excellent ribs, but to me, none are as essential as the bbq sauce. Ribs a little dry? A little lacking in spice or not your favourite cut? All can be fixed or over looked with an epic bbq sauce. For this reason I make my own Low Carb BBQ Sauce!
- Do you prefer your ribs a little on the chewy side rather than fall-off-the-bone? Try 20 minutes of pressure cooking instead of the 25.