Fall off the bone tender. Perfectly spiced. Ready in under an hour. Easy peasy.
These ribs have got it goin’ on!
At no additional cost to you, I make a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.Jump to Recipe
I LOVE ribs!
If I had to eat ribs every single day for lunch and dinner for the rest of my life, I wouldn’t be the slightest bit dissapointed… you know what? I’ve seriously got to stop writing these posts directly after eating the food I’m blogging about…
Yes, these beauties are ready in under an hour, have the perfect combination of spices, are falling off the bone and slathered in a delicious low carb bbq sauce that I can’t seem to get enough of… but the world is wide and the foods are plenty!
Either way, this is a recipe you’ve just got to try.
What ingredients you’ll need to make these Instant Pot Low Carb Ribs
Besides the ribs themselves, you’ll need water, apple cider vinegar, some liquid hickory smoke and these spices:
Chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, cumin, cayenne, sea salt, ground black pepper and sukrin gold….
What’s sukrin gold? It’s a natural sugar free sweetener made with erythritol that mimics brown sugar! Cool hey?
You’ll also want a bottle of low carb bbq sauce or you can easily make your own while the ribs are pressure cooking. I live for my homemade Low Carb BBQ Sauce; give it a try!
How to make low carb ribs
This recipe is so easy and ready in no time at all. Here’s how to make these low carb ribs:
Place the trivet inside your instant pot then add the water, apple cider vinegar and liquid hickory smoke.
Combine the rub ingredients and mix well. Flip the ribs so that the backside is exposed. Is the membrane still in tact? Often when I buy ribs the membrane has already been removed. If not, take a knife and peel it away.
Massage the whole batch of spice mix into the ribs, front back and sides. You want those ribs fully loaded 😉
Place the ribs inside the Instant Pot, around the trivet, in a circle, so that the meat side faces towards the sides of the Instant Pot, away from the center.
Close the Instant Pot lid and set the steam release valve to the sealed position. Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes then naturally release for at least 10 minutes before quick releasing. If you have time, you can let the ribs naturally release until it’s safe to open the lid.
Now for the sauce.
I like to broil my ribs in the oven or barbecue with sauce because I LOVE caramelized bbq sauce! You can absolutely skip this step and head right into the part where you slather the ribs and start chowin’. Otherwise, do this:
Turn your oven onto broil or crank the heat on your barbecue. Line a baking sheet with a non stick baking mat for the oven or if you are going to barbecue these beauties, line a baking sheet with tin foil.
Carefully place the ribs on top. Load ’em up with your low carb bbq sauce then broil or barbecue them for about 5 minutes, until the sauce is perfectly caramelized.
All about the sauce
There is a lot to say about good ribs. The cooking technique, the rub and the cut. All are important and have a major part to play in excellent ribs, but to me, none are as essential as the bbq sauce.
Ribs a little dry? A little lacking in spice or not your favourite cut? All can be fixed or over looked with an epic bbq sauce.
I searched for a long time for a delicious low carb bbq sauce I could buy and ended up with disappointment after disappointment. Eventually I just couldn’t live any longer without bbq sauce so I decided to make my own.
It’s so easy to do!
My homemade Low Carb BBQ Sauce is smokey, flavourful and now one of my most used recipes. My husband also loves it so much that he prefers it to any other bbq sauce!
What goes with low carb ribs?
Looking for a side dish for these delicious low carb ribs? Here’s a list of my favourites:
- Low Carb Broccoli Salad with Bacon, Cheddar and Kale
- Cauliflower Rice and Steamed Veggies
- Cauliflower Potato Salad
- Low Carb Avocado Fries with Chipotle Mayo
- Low Carb Caesar Salad with Kale and Cheese Crisps
Love this recipe? Try these next:
Subscribe to Mama Bear’s monthly newsletter to be kept up to date on the latest and greatest recipes!
Instant Pot Low Carb Ribs
- 1-1.5 kg pork ribs
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp liquid hickory smoke
- 1 ½ tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- ¼ – 1 tsp cayenne *see notes
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp sukrin gold
- Optional: Baking Sheet with Tin Foil or Non Stick Baking Mat
- Place trivet inside the Instant Pot and pour in the water, apple cider vinegar and liquid hickory smoke.
- Combine rub ingredients and set aside.
- Flip ribs onto their meaty side and remove the membrane with a knife if still in tact. (Ribs come with the membrane already removed a lot of the time)
- Massage the whole batch of rub into the ribs, covering all surfaces including the meaty side, the back side and the edges.
- Place the ribs inside the Instant Pot in a circle around the trivet, with the meaty side facing the walls of the Instant Pot and the backside facing the center.
- Turn the steam release valve to sealed and turn the Instant Pot to high pressure cooking for 30 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release to maximize flavour, or at least as long as you have time for before carefully quick releasing.
Optional / Recommended
- Heat the oven on broil or crank your barbecue.
- Gently pull the ribs out of the Instant Pot and place carefully onto a non stick baking mat lined baking sheet (for the oven) or tin foil lined baking sheet (for the barbecue).
- Smother with your favourite low carb barbecue sauce or this homemade Low Carb BBQ Sauce.
- Broil for 5 minutes or barbecue for 5 minutes until the sauce has caramelized.