Craving potato salad?
Following a keto or low carb diet?
Then this Cauliflower Potato Salad is for you!
At no additional cost to you, I make a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. All items are tools or ingredients I have used myself or I wouldn’t recommend them to you!Jump to Recipe
I love potato salad. Like, LOVE potato salad. All that crispy bacon (because potato salad isn’t potato salad without bacon), crunchy vegetables and tangy sauce? Amazing. I would love to meet the very first person who created potato salad and just give them a great big hug.
Actually, for me, that person would be my Ma-in-law, because her potato salad was the very first one I ever tried… crazy right? It was loaded with dijon, green onion, eggs and of course BACON among other things, but those were the ingredients that stuck close to my heart. I can actually still remember the moment that salad his my tongue and my taste buds exploded with delight.
Since then I’ve made potato salad very, very often and have always called it ‘Ma’s Potato Salad’. It’s actually a popular recipe in my home town; you can find it in the deli section of a couple of the grocery stores around here 😉
So I decided to create a recipe using the same ingredients except swap out the potatoes for cauliflower to fit into my healthy low carb lifestyle!
I hope you love this recipe too!
How to make Cauliflower Potato Salad
This recipe will use your entire kitchen full of pots and pans.. kidding.. slightly..
Grab a small saucepan, add a couple of eggs and fill with water until it covers the eggs. Heat it on high until it starts to boil, reduce head to medium high and cook for ten minutes. Cool the eggs right away with cold water to prevent further cooking.
Heat a skillet on medium and fry up some bacon until it is nice and crispy, then heat up a steamer- I use my double boiler with the steamer top.
Chop up an entire head of cauliflower into bite sized pieces, then steam for about ten minutes, until the cauliflower is fork tender. Cool completely.
Peel the eggs and dice small, finely chop the green onion and dice the bacon.
Whisk the dressing together then toss in the cauliflower. Gently mix, then add in the eggs, green onion and bacon. Mix and taste test before adding salt and or pepper. Enjoy!
How many carbs in Cauliflower Potato Salad?
This recipe makes enough Cauliflower Potato Salad to feed roughly four people. For each serving, there is about 7g of net carbs. Cauliflower sizing and ingredients vary, so this is only an estimate.
What goes with Cauliflower Potato Salad?
Potato salad is one of those side dishes that can basically accompany anything. Yes, even ice cream. It’s true. So of course this Cauliflower Potato Salad would go with all sorts of other dishes as well! Here is a list of my favourite low carb meals to pair this with:
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Thighs
- Prosciutto, Pesto and Feta Stuffed Flank Steak
- Lemon Herb Chicken Thighs
- Chipotle Chicken Burger
- Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Thighs with Pesto
- Chicken Wrap with Bacon and Avocado
Tips and Tricks
I’ve put together a couple of tricks and tips for this salad I hope you find useful!
- Make sure you cook the bacon until it is beautifully crispy- no under-cooked-soggy-doggy bacon allowed in this salad! It will give it an added crunch factor, especially when made ahead.
- To cool down the cauliflower quickly, I like to use a baking sheet. This way the cauliflower will be spread out evenly and should cool in minutes!
- I highly recommend you taste test the salad before adding any salt. There is a lot of bacon in this recipe, and bacon can be extremely salty depending on the brand you buy. I made this one time and added only 1/4 tsp salt before mixing and I literally could not eat this salad. I had to throw it away and make it again because it was too salty to eat.
Love this recipe? Try these next:
Subscribe to Mama Bear’s monthly newsletter so you are kept up to date with the latest and greatest!
Cauliflower Potato Salad – Low Carb
- 1 head cauliflower
- 6-8 slices bacon slices
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp green onion
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
- Add eggs to a small saucepan and add water until they are covered. Heat on high and once boiling, cook for 10 minutes. Strain the hot water and cool with cold water. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet on medium and once hot, add the bacon and cook until nice and crispy, then set aside to cool.
- Dice up the cauliflower into bite sized pieces and steam until fork tender, about ten minutes, then set side to cool.
- Peel the eggs and dice them into small pieces. Finely chop the green onion and dice up the bacon. In a mixing bowl combine mayonnaise, sour cream and dijon. Gently Mix in the cooled cauliflower and then the eggs, bacon and green onion. Add salt and pepper if needed to taste.