Read on to find your next favourite guilt free sauce!
I know, I’m excited too.
At no additional cost to you, I make a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. All items are tools or ingredients I have used myself or I wouldn’t recommend them to you!Jump to Recipe
Holy Moly am I ever excited! I know, I know, I get excited a lot… but this Low Carb BBQ Sauce is sooooo dang delicious! It’s easy to make, super powerful yet not too spicy, and other than the liquid smoke you probably keep all of these ingredients on hand!
Barbecue is probably my favourite flavour, however, I am ridiculously picky when it comes to the barbecue flavour.. I know.. confusing.. There are only a handful of barbecue sauces I like, and even fewer barbecue flavoured chips. But believe me, I would go to the ends of the earth for those beauties!
Of course those lovely items are off limits on this low carb lifestyle so I had to buy a different, sugar free, barbecue sauce.. and then another.. and another.. until I realized I was going to have to make it myself!
I was prepared to sink years into this Low Carb BBQ Sauce creation, instead, I got lucky and make a freaking delicious batch first shot!
This Low Carb BBQ Sauce is now a staple in my house. I hope you love it as much as I do!
What is in Low Carb BBQ Sauce?
Nothing but Yum!
This Low Carb BBQ Sauce has onion, garlic, chilli powder, sea salt, pepper, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, freshly squeezed lemon juice, worchestershire, dijon mustard, sukrin gold, and liquid hickory smoke.
How to make a Low Carb BBQ Sauce
This Low Carb BBQ Sauce is very simple to make! Sweet, right? I was always so overwhelmed with the thought of making my own, but now will never buy another bottle again.
Heat a small saucepan on medium high and dice up some onion. When the butter is hot, fry the onion until it becomes translucent. Add in some minced garlic, chilli powder, sea salt and ground black pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
To the hot saucepan add ketchup, apple cider vinegar, freshly squeezed lemon juice, sukrin gold, Worcestershire, dijon mustard, and liquid hickory smoke. Whisk until fully combined.
Heat the sauce on medium until it comes to a boil, reduce to a low simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes. Strain into a heat safe bowl then use hot or refrigerate. Throw away the onions and garlic that were strained out.
How long will homemade Low Carb BBQ Sauce last in the fridge?
Because of the apple cider vinegar and lemon juice, this Low Carb BBQ Sauce will last for at least 2 weeks in the fridge; just make sure it is in a sealed container.
If you won’t be able to use it up in the two weeks, this sauce will freeze great!
An old pesto container works wonders to keep this sauce fresh 😉 I like to label mine with the date so I don’t forget when I made it!
Now that you’ve made it, here are some delicious ways to use it:
The possibilities are endless my friend! Here is a list of my favourite ways to use up this delicious Low Carb BBQ Sauce:
- My favourite thing to eat with this Low Carb BBQ Sauce would have to be pork ribs with my Low Carb Rib Rub… Slow cooked to falling-off-the-bone-perfection!
- Make Mini Low Carb Meatballs for a delicious appetizer or simply brush it over barbecued meats like steak or chicken breast.
- Do you like pulled pork or chicken? Oh my goodness, you haven’t lived until you’ve tried this as your pulled meat sauce like this beautiful Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken or Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork.
- Use is as a marinade for beef, pork or chicken or to brush over burgers like these Low Carb Turkey Burgers.
- How about pizza? I like to use it as the dip for the low carb Fathead Pizza!
Sides to pair with BBQ dishes
Here is a list of my favourite low carb side dishes that pair with BBQ:
- Green Beans with Bacon and Almonds
- Cauliflower Rice
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon, Cheddar and Kale
- Roasted Broccolini, Green Beans and Carrots
- Steamed Vegetables
- Kale Caesar
- Avocado Fries with Chipotle Mayo
Love this recipe? Try these other low carb sauces next:
Subscribe to Mama Bear’s monthly newsletter and Like Mama Bear’s page on Facebook!
Pin this recipe for later!
Low Carb BBQ Sauce
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup sugar free ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 lemon freshly squeezed about 2 tbsp
- 3 tbsp sukrin gold sweetener
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1.5 tsp liquid hickory smoke
- Cutting Board and Knife
- Small Saucepan
- Heat safe storage container
- In a small saucepan on medium high heat melt the butter and once hot, add the diced onion. Cook until the onion becomes transparent then add the minced garlic, chilli powder, sea salt, pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the saucepan and whisk until fully incorporated. Bring to a boil, reduce to a low simmer and cook for 25 minutes, whisking every few minutes to keep from burning.
- Strain the sauce into a heat safe storage container and use hot or refrigerate.