Get your avocado on with these delicious Low Carb Avocado Fries!
At no additional cost to you, I make a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. All items are tools or ingredients I have used myself or I wouldn’t recommend them to you!Jump to Recipe
Oh my goodness, the excitement I have over this recipe is a bit ridiculous. I looooove avocado fries! The problem is that generally they are made by rolling avocado slices in panko breadcrumbs, which of course would not be low carb. So rather than nix it from the list, I decided to test them out with the breading I created for my Low Carb Chipotle Chicken Burgers… GENIUS. It’s a mixture of almond flour, parmesan cheese, garlic, cajun seasoning, salt and pepper! I love this breading! It crisps up beautifully when baked in the oven which of course is the reason for living, is it not?
Dipping sauce for avocado fries
CHIPOTLE MAYO!!! You absolutely MUST dip avocado fries in chipotle mayo!!! I suppose that’s just my opinion, others may choose ranch, ketchup or even a bacon cheese sauce?? Hmmm now the wheels are turning… bacon cheddar sauce would be pretty good as well… but chipotle mayo is super quick and easy! Just mix mayonnaise, chipotle hot sauce and BAM! Chipotle mayo in a bowl, all ready for your dipping pleasure.
How to make avocado fries
Creating avocado fries are pretty easy! Start with avocados that aren’t quite ripe. If they are too soft they won’t hold their shape. Don’t worry about eating unripe avocados, they majorly soften up while in the oven! They will be like butter on the inside and Oh-so-crispy after baking 🙂
Cut the avocados in half, remove the pit (carefully) then peel off the skin. Slice the avocados lengthwise so that they are French fry shaped! (somewhat)
With one hand, dip a slice into the egg wash and toss into the breadcrumb bowl without touching the breadcrumbs. With the other hand, roll it in the breadcrumbs and then place on a baking sheet with a non stick baking mat. Almond flour tends to clump up pretty bad if you get it wet, this is why using separate hands for the egg wash and breadcrumbs is a good idea.
Bake at 450° for 7 minutes, flip the avocado fries over and bake for an addition 5 minutes, or until they are as toasty as you like! Dip those beauties into that delicious chipotle mayo you whipped up and indulge in this epic low carb snack!
What goes with avocado fries?
Besides being perfect all by themselves, avocado fries go great with just about anything! Make them for appetizer night or pair them with a sandwich, burger or salad Here are my favourite low carb mains to pair with avocado fries:
- Chipotle Chicken Burger
- Kale Caesar Salad
- Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken
- Cauliflower Potato Salad
- Chicken Caesar Salad Lettuce Wraps
- Greek Turkey Burger
Like this recipe? Check out these other appetizers!
Subscribe to Mama Bear’s monthly newsletter so you never have to miss a scrumptious recipe like this!
Low Carb Avocado Fries with Chipotle Mayo
- 2 firm avocados not quite ripe
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp water
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp chipotle hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Cutting Board and Knife
- Baking Sheet with Non Stick Baking Mat
- Small Bowl
- Heat oven to 450°. Line a baking sheet with a baking mat or parchment paper. Mix egg and water in a bowl and set aside. Mix the breading in another bowl and set aside.
- Cut the avocados in half lengthwise and carefully remove the pit. Peel the skin away from the avocado and have each half lay cut side down on the cutting board. Slice lengthwise to form 6 fries from each avocado half.
- With one hand dip a fry into the egg wash and toss into the breading dish. Use the other hand to roll the fry in the breading and place on the baking sheet. Repeat until all the avocado fries have been breaded.
- Bake for 7 minutes, flip each fry over, then bake for an addition 5 minutes, or until the right level of toasty has been achieved. Mix the chipotle mayo ingredients together, dip and enjoy!
Nutrition facts are an estimate only! The ingredients you choose could have different nutritional values than the ingredients I have used.Deduct fibre from the total carbs to get 4 g net carbs per serving.