This traditionally high carb delicacy can be yours in minutes… guilt free!
At no additional cost to you, I make a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.
Oh Quesadilla.. you make my heart sing.. Sometimes a girl just needs a quesadilla, no?
I’ve been craving one for months, can’t get the flavour from my mind and nothing would come between me and that desire.
You can imagine my excitement when a little box arrived on my doorstep from a low carb grocery store that lives a ferry ride away. I was SO excited. I ripped into it like a kid on Christmas morning. In fact my four year old was crazy excited as well because of my reaction and was pretty confused once we got the box open to reveal some plain ol’ tortaillas.. 😂
I couldn’t decide between a Low Carb Chicken Wrap with Bacon and Avocado or this Low Carb Quesadilla with Chicken, Avocado and Refried Beans… so, I made BOTH!
Omg. Both were epic. My sister ended up stopping by so I grudgingly split both with her. She loved them and couldn’t believe they were both low carb! I hope you love this Quesadilla as well!
Why it works
- Nothing beats simple and quick when you’ve got a serious hankering for a quesadilla! If you already have the refried beans, you could be sinking your teeth into melty-cheesy-goodness in minutes!
- Loaded with protein and healthy fats, this quesadilla makes an excellent choice for lunch or an easy dinner.
- Kid approved! What kid doesn’t like quesadillas? I make them for my girls with just the cheese and avocado.
What is in a Low Carb Quesadilla?
Many yummy things! 😋 In this Low Carb Quesadilla you will find:
- cream cheese
- Low Carb Refried Beans
- cooked chicken
- shredded mexicana cheese
I like to use these Pan Fried Chicken Thighs but you can use any cooked chicken you like.
How to make a Low Carb Quesadilla
Start by heating up a sandwich grill.
Spread cream cheese over half the tortillas and refried beans on the second half.
Slice up the avocado and place over the cream cheese.
Cover the avocado with chopped chicken then sprinkle the mexicana cheese over the chicken, leaving about an inch all the way around the outer edge to allow for the cheese to melt and spread.
Fold the refried bean half over the cheese, so that the wrap is now perfectly folded in half.
Grill ’til the cheese is hot and melty. Serve with sour cream and/or salsa.
Low Carb Refried Beans
I know what you are thinking: beans are definitely NOT low in carbs. Well, I discovered a gold mine:
Black soy beans.
They are super low in carbs and can be manipulated to taste just like refried beans! I make my Low Carb Refried Beans in an instant pot for ease, but can also be made on the stove top.
Not interested? You can just double the cream cheese if you want to skip the refried beans.
All about the chicken
Any cooked chicken will work in this Low Carb Quesadilla. I prefer something that is super flavourful, but, you do you!
This Easy Pan Fried Chicken Thigh recipe is my go-to for Low Carb Quesadillas or you could try some Lemon Herb Chicken Thighs. In a hurry? Grab a deli cooked rotisserie chicken then use the bones to make some Chicken Broth.
Tortillas to make a Low Carb Quesadilla
I used Mama Lupes low carb tortillas because that is the brand that came highly recommended from some fellow low carbers. They are super soft, have great flavour and hold together better than a lot of high carbs wraps I’ve eaten in my life.
Do you have a low carb tortilla you like to use? Give it a try and let me know how it went! Want something that is keto friendly? Try this recipe from GnomGnom.
What to pair with a Low Carb Quesadilla
Looking for a side to go with this Low Carb Quesadilla besides just making a giant stack of them?! Here are some yummy low carb sides to try:
- Kale Caesar Salad with Cheese Crisps
- Hot Bean and Cheese Dip
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Cheddar
- Avocado Fries with Chipotle Mayo
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup
- Ranch Cauliflower Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Cheddar
- Bacon Wrapped Avocado Fries
Here are some other recipes you may love:
Subscribe to Mama Bear’s monthly newsletter to be kept up to date on the latest and greatest recipes!
Low Carb Quesadilla with Chicken, Avocado and Refried Beans.
- 1 low carb tortilla
- 1 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 tbsp low carb refried beans
- ½ avocado
- 2 oz cooked chicken equivalent of 1 thigh
- ¼ cup mexicana cheese
- Heat the sandwich grill on medium heat.
- Spread the cream cheese over half the tortilla and the Low Carb Refried Beans on the second half. Slice up the avocado and place evenly over the entire cream cheese half.
- Cover the avocado with chopped chicken then sprinkle the mexicana cheese over the chicken. Leave about an inch all the way around the outer edge to allow for the cheese to melt and spread.
- Fold the refried bean half over the cheese, so that the wrap is now perfectly folded in half.
- Grill until the cheese is hot and melty.
- Serve with sour cream and/or salsa.