Your next favourite meal, this Keto Butter Chicken is packed with flavour and easy to make! Prep it ahead of time for a quick weeknight meal.
At no additional cost to you, I may make a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.
I am so crazy head-over-heels in love with this Keto Butter Chicken. I basically want to eat it for lunch and dinner ever single day. Lucky for me, my husband loves this deliciousness as well, almost as much as I do!
It’s super easy to mix up the marinade and can be left in the fridge for 1 -24 hours before being cooked up. I like to make the marinade in the morning whenever I have a few minutes, then it is all ready for dinner time. If you will be busy all day, the marinade can be made the night before!
The sauce is super creamy and flavourful and besides the spices, you’ll only need a few ingredients. I think it is best served with Cauliflower Rice but is also great with Keto Naan Bread or on a Fathead Pizza Crust! SO GOOD!
I hope you love this Keto Butter Chicken as much as we do!
Why this recipe works
- This Keto Butter Chicken can be prepped whenever time allows, making it a quick weeknight meal.
- The creamy sauce is packed with flavour and pairs perfectly with the texture of the chicken.
- It’s one of those dishes you actually want to have for leftovers – yeah, it’s that yummy – it can be reheated and eaten straight up, or try this deliciousness on a pizza!
Keto Butter Chicken Ingredients
- boneless skinless chicken breast
- plain greek yogurt
- lemon juice
- garam masala
- turmeric powder
- chili powder
- sea salt
- heavy whipping cream
- tomato paste
How to make Keto Butter Chicken
Start with the marinade.
This can be made 1 – 24 hours before it is cooked, whatever works best for you! I always try to give it at least 3-4 hours but if you can only fit in 1 hour, that is totally cool too.
Combine yogurt, lemon juice, garam masala, turmeric, chili, cayenne and salt in a bowl and whisk until fully combined. Add chopped boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs and toss until the marinade has been fully mixed in.
Scrape the entire contents into a ziploc bag and squeeze the air out. Refrigerate 1-24 hours.
Once you are ready to make dinner, Heat a skillet on medium heat with 2 tbsp butter. Empty the contents of the bag into the skillet, cover and cook until the chickens internal temperature reaches 180°.
Heat a medium saucepan on medium high and add 2 tbsp butter. Toss in a chopped onion and cook until translucent, then add the minced garlic and ginger.
Stir for a moment or two then add the remaining butter, heavy whipping cream and tomato paste. Stir, then carefully puree until smooth with an immersion blender.
If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can cool the sauce and puree in a blender until smooth, or skip this step all together. Butter Chicken is supposed to have a soft, silky texture, but if you don’t care about that, save yourself a step. Personally, I love the texture of the smooth sauce.
Bring the sauce back up to a simmer, then add in the cooked chicken and stir to combine.
Serve over Cauliflower Rice with freshly chopped cilantro.
Watch the whole thing go down:
- I am usually the kinda gal that goes for chicken thighs, however, I actually prefer chicken breast in this recipe. Have you ever deboned your own? I don’t buy boneless often, because it’s so much more expensive, so I remove the bone myself. Check out this video if removing the bone is something you’ve never done before.
- Chop the chicken into small, bite sized pieces. This not only makes the dish easier to eat, but then there is more chicken pieces to go around.
- My immersion blender is one of my very best friends. It is essential in this recipe as well as others like this Keto Italian Dressing or other soup and sauce recipes.
- Fresh cilantro brings life to this dish, but I know there are some major haters out there – are you or your guest one of them? Try basil instead.
How to Make Cauliflower Rice
Cauliflower is super easy to make a so versatile. I can’t believe how much of the stuff I’ve eaten, even just in the last month. I LOVE it!
I used to make rice for my family and cauliflower rice just for myself, but my husband started ‘stealing’ my cauliflower rice, so now I don’t even bother making rice, just the cauliflower rice.
Learn How to Make Cauliflower Rice.
Keto Butter Chicken Pizza
This pizza is absolutely crave worthy. I always try to save some Keto Butter Chicken so that I can make it.
I make this Fathead Pizza Crust then load up the pizza with warmed Keto Butter Chicken, sliced red onion and diced tomatoes. After it’s baked I like to garnish it with fresh cilantro.
This pizza is a MUST try; it’s soooo delicious!!
Slow Cooker Keto Butter Chicken
Can this recipe be made in the slow cooker? Why yes, it can! Here’s how:
Heat a skillet on medium high heat and add 2 tbsp butter. Once hot, fry the cubed chicken and chopped onion until the onion is translucent.
In the slow cooker combine the yogurt, lemon juice, tomato paste, heavy whipping cream, garam masala, turmeric, chili powder, cayenne, salt, garlic and ginger, then mix well to combine.
Stir in the chicken and onion and cook on low for 5-6 hours or high 3-4 hours.
Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon, puree the sauce using an immersion blender, then place the chicken back into the slow cooker and stir well.
Serve hot over cauliflower rice and garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.
Love this recipe? Try these next:
Subscribe to Mama Bear’s monthly newsletter to be kept up to date on the latest and greatest recipes!
Keto Butter Chicken
- 1 ½ lb boneless skinless chicken breast or boneless skinless thighs
- ¾ cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 ½ tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter divided
- 1 small onion
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger minced or grated
- 3 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 5.5 oz tomato paste
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- freshly chopped cilantro
- Mixing Bowl
- Grater and/or Garlic Press
- Large Ziploc Bag
- Skillet with Lid
- Medium Saucepan
- In a medium bowl combine the yogurt, lemon juice, garam masala, chili powder, turmeric, cayenne and salt, then mix well.
- Chop the chicken into bite sized cubes and toss with the yogurt. Scrape into a large ziploc, remove the air then refrigerate for 1-24 hours.
Keto Butter Chicken
- Heat a skillet on medium heat with 2 tbsp butter. Once hot, empty the contents of the bag into the skillet, cover and cook until the chickens internal temperature reaches 180°.
- Heat a saucepan on medium high heat and add 2 tbsp butter. Chop the onion and add to the hot butter. Cook until translucent then stir in the minced garlic and ginger. Stir for a moment or two then add the remaining butter, heavy whipping cream and tomato paste.
- Stir, then carefully puree until smooth with an immersion blender. Bring the sauce back up to a simmer, then add in the cooked chicken and stir to combine.
- If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can cool the sauce and puree in a blender until smooth, or skip this step all together. Butter Chicken is supposed to have a soft, silky texture, but if you don’t care about that, save yourself a step. Personally, I love the texture of the smooth sauce.
- See post above for a drool worthy pizza idea to use up any leftovers.
- See post above for slow cooker instructions.