Looking for a delicious slow cooker dish that’s quick and easy? You’ll love this Salsa Barbecue Chicken Thigh recipe!
At no additional cost to you, I make a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.
Is there anything worse than rushing home after a long day to get a head start on dinner? With Zoey in preschool and activities afterwards, I rely on my slow cooker to make dinner for me. By the time we get home I’ve only got about a half an hour until dinner time, which isn’t a lot especially when small teething children are involved. This super easy slow cooker salsa barbecue chicken is one of my favourite go-to’s because of how quick and easy it is to throw together. Oh, and of course my family and I LOVE it!
My mom gave me the idea for this recipe. She likes to slow cook country style ribs in a mixture of barbecue sauce and salsa (which is freaking delicious btw), so I decided to give chicken thighs a shot.. oh boy, so, so, delicious! I can’t wait for you to try this dish and let me know what you think!
Why it works
- Seriously, you want quick and easy? This recipe takes five minutes to throw together, the slow cooker does its magic, and then about 20 minutes at the end to cook rice and steam some broccoli if you wish. I know, it’s truly wonderful!
- Flavour packed deliciousness – there is nothing lacking about this dish, with the use of herbs and spices, salsa and barbecue sauce.
- Make it healthy by adding rice and steamed vegetables, or create this dish for a potluck and supply buns – fast, easy and delicious!
- boneless skinless chicken thighs
- cajun seasoning
- chili powder
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- your favourite barbecue sauce
I like to pair this dish with rice and steamed veggies but is also super delish when tossed onto a brioche bun.
Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs – I rarely buy my thighs boneless and skinless because they are just too expensive. It’s easy to debone them, though! Have you never done it before? Check out this video to learn how.
How to make Easy Slow Cooker Salsa Barbecue Chicken Thighs
This Easy Slow Cooker Salsa Barbecue Chicken Thigh recipe is super easy and quick to throw together.
Heat a skillet on medium high and combine the seasonings in a bowl. Mix, then toss the chicken thighs with the mixture until the chicken has been seasoned evenly.
Once the skillet is hot, sear the chicken thighs for a couple of minutes on each side until a nice golden colour has been achieved. Place the chicken thighs in a slow cooker and cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
30-45 minutes before the cooking time has complete, use two forks to pull the chicken thighs apart to create shredded chicken. Mix barbecue sauce with salsa and pour into the slow cooker with the shredded chicken. Mix, then allow to cook for the remaining time.
Serve hot with your choice of side.
What pairs with Salsa Barbecue Chicken Thighs?
My favourite sides to pair with this delicious Slow Cooker Salsa Barbecue Chicken Thigh dish would definitely be rice and steamed broccoli or green beans. Here are some other yummy options:
- Kale Caesar Salad
- Yam Potato Salad with Bacon
- Roasted Broccoli, Green Beans and Carrots
- Roasted Potatoes
- Cheesy Focaccia Flatbread
- Mama Bear’s Garden Salad
Pulled Chicken Sandwich
Build a mouthwatering pulled chicken sandwich with this Slow Cooker Salsa Barbecue Chicken. It’s delicious! Are you feeding a crowd? This is a quick and easy way to do so.
You should get about 8-10 sandwiches from one recipe. Grab some brioche buns, load ’em with mayo and a generous helping of chicken. Boom.
Here are some other recipes you might like:
Subscribe to Mama Bear’s Monthly Newsletter to be kept up to date on the latest and greatest recipe!
Easy Slow Cooker Salsa Barbecue Chicken Thighs
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup your favourite barbecue sauce I like hickory smoked or bold
- 1 cup your favourite salsa I prefer medium so it’s not too spicy
- Heat a skillet on medium high and combine the cajun seasoning, chilli powder, onion, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix, then toss the chicken thighs with the mixture until the chicken has been seasoned evenly.
- Once the skillet is hot, sear the chicken thighs for a couple of minutes on each side until a nice golden colour has been achieved. Place the chicken thighs in the slow cooker and cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- 30-45 minutes before the cooking time has complete, use two forks to pull the chicken thighs apart to create shredded chicken. Mix the barbecue sauce with salsa and pour into the slow cooker with the shredded chicken. Mix, then allow to cook for the remaining time.
- Serve hot with rice and and steamed vegetates if desired.