Low Carb Buns packed with oniony goodness?
At no additional cost to you, I may make a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.Jump to Recipe
I LOVE to bake.
I have since I was a little girl.
Baking is therapeutic and right now, with Addie getting her 2 year molars, I need all the therapy I can get! Needless to say I’ve been baking up a storm.
Zoey and I made some delicious organic raspberry apple cinnamon muffins and a loaf of organic whole wheat bread. The beautiful scents that were wafting through my house was driving me bonkers! Who doesn’t audibly sigh at the scent of fresh bread?
To make up for it, I decided to bake some yummy low carb buns to go with the burgers I made for dinner.
My mom used to make these incredible onion buns, so I made a low carb version… YUM!!
These go great with burgers or any kind of sandwich you want! I also love to dip them in soup.
They are basically magic.
I hope you love these low carb buns as much as I do!
What you’ll need to make Low Carb Onion Buns
You’ll need butter, onion, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, onion powder, onion flakes, sea salt, mozzarella, cream cheese, 2 eggs and some vinegar.
How to make Low Carb Buns
These low carb buns are super easy to make. Here’s how:
Start by heating the oven to 375° and getting the onion ready.
Heat a skillet on medium high heat with some butter. Mince the onion and once the butter is ready, fry the onion until it begins to brown.
Remove from the heat and set aside for now.
Grab a medium sized microwave safe bowl and toss in almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, onion powder, onion flakes and sea salt. Whisk well then toss in mozzarella cheese until evenly mixed.
Plunk cubes of cream cheese on top of the mixture and microwave for 1 minute. Mix with a wooden spoon then microwave for an additional 30 seconds.
Mix again, and if the mozza is not fully melted, microwave in 15 second intervals until it is.
Fold in 1 full egg and 1 egg white and once fully combined, knead in the vinegar.
Divide into four and form into buns. They will flatten while baking so be sure not to flatten them too much. Place evenly on a baking sheet with a non stick baking mat, then brush the tops with the cooked onion/butter.
Bake for 14-16 minutes, until the tops of the buns have browned.
Cool for a couple of minutes before using as you like!
How to store Low Carb Buns
Although these Low Carb Onion Buns are best when eaten fresh, they keep well for quite a while if stored properly.
Once cool, refrigerate in an air tight container for up to a week.
Want them to last longer? Toss them into a freezer safe container or ziploc and freeze for 4-6 months! They take no time to thaw, so I often throw them into the freezer right away.
Need some inspiration?
There are a lot of delicious burgers and sandwiches you can make with these yummy low carb buns. Here are a few ideas:
- Crispy Chicken Burgers
- Ham and swiss cheese with Keto Honey Mustard
- Prosciutto Bocconcini Stuffed Burgers
- Tuna sandwiches
- Greek Turkey Burger
- Beef Dip
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork
Need more low carb buns?
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled if you are having lots of company over, or if you want to make a large to batch to freeze.
Love this recipe? Try these next:
Subscribe to Mama Bear’s monthly newsletter to be kept up to date on the latest and greatest recipes!
Watch how to make these low carb buns:
Low Carb Onion Buns
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp minced onion
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp onion flakes
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 x Baking Sheet and Non Stick Baking Mat or Parchment Paper
- Medium Sized Microwave Safe Bowl
- Heat oven to 375° and line a baking sheet with a non stick baking mat or parchment paper.
- Heat a skillet on medium high and add the butter. Once hot, fry the minced onion until it begins to brown, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, onion powder, onion flakes and sea salt in a medium sized microwave safe bowl and mix well. Toss in shredded mozzarella then place the cream cheese on top.
- Microwave for 1 minute. Mix with a wooden spoon then microwave for an additional 30 seconds.
- Mix again, and if the mozza is not fully melted, microwave in 15 second intervals until it is.
- Fold in 1 egg and 1 egg white and once fully combined, knead in the vinegar.
- Divide into four and form into buns. They will flatten out while baking so be sure not to form them flat. Place evenly on a baking sheet with a non stick baking mat, then brush the tops with the cooked onion/butter.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, until the tops of the buns have browned.