Salsa BBQ Keto Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs
Not only is this chicken thigh recipe easy to throw together, it's insanely flavourful, has minimal prep time, can be left for hours in your slow cooker without worry and is keto friendly!
Servings 4 servings
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 14 oz canned organic diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup white onion
- 1 small jalapeño
- ½ bunch cilantro
- 1 lime
- ½ tsp sea salt
Heat a skillet on medium high with the avocado oil. Combine the rub ingredients and massage it into the chicken thighs. Once the skillet is hot, sear the chicken thighs for a minute or so on each side until golden. Place the seared chicken thighs inside the slow cooker and cook on low for 4-5 hours or on high for 2 ½ - 3. Make the salsa right away so that it can rest while the chicken is cooking.
Chop up the onion, cilantro and jalapeño *see notes. Add them to a food processor along with the diced tomatoes and sea salt. Squeeze the juice from the lime over top and then process for only a few moments, depending on how chunky you like your salsa. Pour out the salsa into a dish, cover with wrap and then place inside the fridge.
45 minutes before the chicken has finished slow cooking, take 2 forks and shred the chicken. Add the Low Carb BBQ Sauce and 1 cup of the salsa, mix well, return the lid and continue to slow cook for the remaining time. Enjoy with Cauliflower Rice and steamed veggies or as pulled chicken sandwiches on Low Carb Onion Buns or 90 Second Keto Bread.
- Wait until the skillet is hot before searing the chicken to ensure a nice golden colour without overcooking the chicken.
- For a spicy salsa, use all of the jalapeño including the white pith and seeds. For a mild salsa discard the white pith and seeds. Medium? Keep half the seeds.
- Use gloves to avoid the burn from the jalapeño juice. If you get the juice on your skin, wash it away first with olive oil before washing it with soap and warm water.
- The remaining salsa can be refrigerated for up to a week and enjoyed with Low Carb Cheese Crackers or Low Carb Baked Tortilla Chips.
Nutrition facts are an estimate only! The ingredients you choose could have different nutritional values than the ingredients I have used.
* Net carb count excludes both fibre and sugar alcohols, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people.
Deduct fibre and sugar alcohols from the total carbs to get 5.9 g net carbs per 1/4 of the whole recipe.
Serving: 2thighs | Calories: 303kcal | Carbohydrates: 11.6g | Protein: 28.6g | Fat: 16.3g | Sodium: 1610mg | Fiber: 2.7g | Sugar Alcohols: 3g | Net Carbs: 5.9g