Are you on a keto journey but still crave those comforting and hearty dishes? Look no further – we’ve got a delightful recipe that’s both keto-friendly and incredibly satisfying. In this blog post, we’re excited to share a mouthwatering Keto Meatball recipe that’s sure to become a staple in your kitchen. Whether you’re a seasoned keto enthusiast or just starting to explore this low-carb lifestyle, these meatballs are a delicious way to enjoy comfort food without compromising your dietary goals.
Elevating the classic meatball to new heights, our keto-friendly version maintains all the juicy, flavorful goodness you love while keeping carb counts in check. The star of this dish is a blend of succulent ground beef and pork, resulting in a rich, tender texture that’s a perfect canvas for a medley of aromatic spices. But that’s not all – our recipe goes the extra mile by incorporating keto-approved ingredients that add both taste and structure to the meatballs.
From finely grated parmesan cheese to keto-friendly bread crumbs, every element is thoughtfully chosen to ensure a delightful culinary experience that aligns seamlessly with your low-carb lifestyle. Whether you’re serving these meatballs over zucchini noodles or nestled atop a bed of cauliflower rice, get ready to indulge in a keto creation that promises all the satisfaction of traditional comfort food, minus the guilt.
Why you will love this Keto meatball recipe.
- Low-carb indulgence without compromising flavor
- Thoughtfully selected keto-approved ingredients
- Perfect for seasoned keto followers or newcomers
- Versatile serving options with your favorite keto sides
- Satisfies comfort food cravings guilt-free
Keto meatball recipe Ingredients
The following are some ingredients that we are going to use for making our Keto Meatball Recipe:
For the Meatballs:
- Ground Pork: Ground pork adds a rich and savory flavor to the meatballs, providing a nice contrast to the beef.
- Ground Beef (80% Lean, 20% Fat): The beef adds a meaty and hearty flavor to the meatballs, and the 80/20 lean-to-fat ratio ensures they stay juicy and tender.
- Egg: The egg acts as a binding agent, helping to hold the meatballs together and providing moisture.
- Small Onion, Finely Chopped: Finely chopped onions add a sweet and aromatic flavor to the meatballs, as well as some texture.
- Finely Grated Parmesan Cheese: Parmesan cheese not only enhances the flavor but also helps bind the meat mixture and adds a subtle nutty taste.
- Cloves of Garlic, Minced: Minced garlic infuses the meatballs with a robust and aromatic garlic flavor.
- Keto-Friendly Bread Crumbs: These low-carb bread crumbs provide structure and absorb moisture, ensuring the meatballs hold their shape.
- Pepper and Salt : These seasonings add essential flavor and help balance the taste of the meat mixture.
For the Keto Marinara Sauce:
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is used to sauté the onions and garlic, adding a rich, fruity undertone to the sauce.
- Garlic, Minced: Minced garlic infuses the sauce with a savory, aromatic flavor.
- Onion, Chopped: Chopped onions provide sweetness and texture to the sauce, enhancing its overall flavor.
- Water: Water is added to adjust the sauce’s consistency and ensure it’s not too thick.
- Tomato Sauce (Passata): Tomato sauce forms the base of the marinara sauce, lending a robust tomato flavor.
- Italian Seasonings: This mixture of herbs and spices adds a classic Italian taste to the sauce, with hints of basil, oregano, and other herbs.
- Pepper and Salt: These seasonings enhance the flavor profile of the sauce, balancing the acidity of the tomatoes and other ingredients.
Together, these ingredients create a harmonious blend of flavors and textures in the meatballs and sauce, making for a delicious and satisfying keto-friendly meal. For precise measurements and step-by-step instructions, please refer to our detailed recipe card below.
How to make a Keto meatball recipe?
Begin by combining all the ingredients for the meatballs in a mixing bowl. Shape the mixture into small, bite-sized meatballs.
Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the meatballs and cook until they’re browned and no longer pink inside. Remove the cooked meatballs from the skillet.
Now, let’s create the marinara sauce. Start by sautéing the onions and garlic for about 2 minutes until they’re fragrant. Then, introduce the remaining sauce ingredients and let them simmer for 10 minutes, allowing the sauce to thicken.
To complete the dish, return the cooked meatballs to the marinara sauce mixture. Cook for an additional 8-10 minutes, turning the meatballs occasionally to coat them evenly with the sauce. Once done, remove the meatballs from the heat and serve them promptly over gnocchi or your preferred keto pasta. Enjoy your meal!
How to Store leftover keto meatballs?
Storing leftover keto meatballs is easy with a few key steps. First, let them cool to room temperature within two hours of cooking. Use airtight containers or wrap them in foil/plastic wrap before storing them in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months. Label and date the containers for easy tracking. When you’re ready to enjoy them, thaw them in the fridge overnight and reheat them to 165°F (74°C) for safe consumption. Separating meatballs from sauce helps maintain their texture.
What to serve with?
Keto meatballs can be served with a variety of low-carb side dishes and accompaniments to create a well-rounded meal. Here are some delicious options:
- Low-Carb Pasta: Opt for spiralized zucchini noodles (zoodles), shirataki noodles, or spaghetti squash as a keto-friendly pasta alternative.
- Cauliflower Rice: A great low-carb substitute for traditional rice, cauliflower rice pairs well with the meatballs and marinara sauce.
- Steamed or Roasted Vegetables: Serve your keto meatballs with a side of steamed broccoli, sautéed spinach, roasted asparagus, or any other low-carb vegetables of your choice.
- Salad: A fresh salad with leafy greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and a keto-friendly dressing can make for a refreshing side dish.
- Keto Garlic Bread: Prepare some keto garlic bread using almond flour or coconut flour to enjoy with your meatballs.
- Mashed Cauliflower: Creamy mashed cauliflower can be a satisfying alternative to mashed potatoes.
- Keto-Friendly Coleslaw: Coleslaw made with keto-approved ingredients is a refreshing side that pairs well with meatballs.
Feel free to mix and match these side dishes to create a balanced and satisfying meal that aligns with your keto dietary goals. These options add variety and flavor to your keto meatball dish, making it even more enjoyable.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I bake these instead of frying them?
Yes, if you prefer baking, you can bake the meatballs at 180°C/350°F for 15-17 minutes or until the juices run clear.
What’s the secret to making good meatballs?
The secret lies in using a combination of ground meats, such as pork and beef. This ensures your meatballs are juicy and tender. Using only one type of ground meat can lead to dry and crumbly meatballs.
What can I use instead of bread crumbs for keto meatballs?
If you don’t have keto bread crumbs, you can use almond flour as a low-carb alternative. Another option is to toast keto-friendly bread and then pulse it in a food processor or blender until it reaches a crumb-like consistency.
How long can I store leftover keto meatballs?
Leftover keto meatballs can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months when properly sealed in airtight containers or well-wrapped.
Can I use ground turkey or chicken instead of beef and pork?
Absolutely! You can substitute ground turkey or chicken for the beef and pork in the meatball mixture. This variation can create a lighter and leaner option while still delivering great flavor.
Is there a vegetarian version of keto meatballs?
Yes, you can make vegetarian keto meatballs using ingredients like cauliflower, mushrooms, and various cheeses. These alternatives can provide a similar texture and taste without using meat.
What’s the ideal internal temperature for cooked meatballs?
Meatballs are considered cooked when they reach an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C). Keep in mind that meatballs are often cooked twice (first on their own, then in the sauce), which can result in a slightly well-done texture.
What are some creative ways to serve keto meatballs?
In addition to serving them with low-carb pasta or vegetables, consider using keto meatballs as a pizza topping, stuffing them into low-carb wraps, or adding them to a salad for added protein and flavor. The options are endless!
If you have any more questions or if you’ve tried this recipe and want to share your experience, please feel free to leave a comment below. We’d love to hear from you and learn about your unique twists on this keto meatball dish.
Don’t forget to share this recipe with your fellow keto enthusiasts, friends, and family who are looking for a tasty and low-carb meal option. Enjoy your keto meatballs and the wonderful culinary adventures that await!
Keto Meatball Recipe
- large mixing bowl
- non-stick pan
Ingredients For the Meatballs:
- 1/2 Pound ground pork
- 1/2 Pound ground beef (80% lean, 20% fat)
- 1 large egg
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 Cup keto-friendly bread crumbs
- 1/2 Teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
Ingredients for the Keto Marinara Sauce:
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Large 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1 Pound tomato sauce (passata)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasonings
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Begin by mixing all the ingredients for the meatballs in a large mixing bowl. Use your hands to thoroughly combine the ingredients. Shape tablespoons of the mixture into meatballs and place them on a plate.
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the meatballs and cook for about 5-6 minutes, turning them regularly. The goal is to brown them and cook them partially, not fully. Once done, transfer the meatballs to a plate.
- For the sauce, use the same pan and heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the chopped onions and minced garlic for about 2 minutes until they become fragrant.
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients to the pan: tomato sauce, water, salt, Italian seasonings, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a simmer, and then reduce the heat to low.
- Carefully add the partially cooked meatballs into the saucepan. Allow them to simmer in the sauce for 8-10 minutes, turning them occasionally to ensure even cooking.
- Once the meatballs are fully cooked and the flavors have melded together, remove the pan from the heat. Serve the meatballs and sauce over low-carb pasta or your preferred selection of low-carb vegetables. Enjoy your meal!