Chili is a comfort food staple and I want to prove to you that you can still eat all of your favorite comfort foods while on a Keto diet. In previous recipes, I have shown you how to make Keto Spaghetti and Meatballs and Keto Pulled Pork and not to mention my Low Carb Meatloaf.
Growing up in Vermont, there was nothing better in the colder months than coming in from playing in the snow and having a nice warm bowl of chicken soup or chili waiting for you. However, most traditional chili recipes aren’t necessarily keto friendly for those who are living a keto lifestyle.
Not to worry, I have a delicious low-carb chili recipe that your whole family will love.
Is Chili Keto?
Yes, chili can be keto friendly if it is made with the right ingredients. Traditional chili recipes are usually high in carbs due to the beans and other starchy vegetables that are typically used, but this recipe is completely bean-free. You won’t miss them either because we use plenty of flavorful spices instead!
The beans typically used in a bean chili recipe are black soybeans, black beans, kidney beans, and pinto beans. All of these are very high in carbs and not something you want to be eating on a keto diet.
For example a cup of kidney beans is about 45 grams of carbs and a cup of black beans is 41. So, just by leaving out the beans you can significantly reduce the carb count per serving.
However, if you are really looking for a low carb bean chili recipe, the best beans to use are edamame beans. They are much lower in carbs than other types of beans and still add a nice texture to the chili.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s made with no beans or legumes making it low carb.
- The texture is thick and hearty just like good chili should be.
- The meat and and vegetables are tender and slightly spicy.
- The best part…no one will even know it’s low carb!
Keto Friendly Chili Recipe Ingredients
To Make The Chili
- Ground Beef– I typically like to use 80/20 ground beef as it has a good amount of fat but not too much. For a leaner option you can use Ground Turkey
- Onion– Finely chopped white or sweet onions
- Garlic-Use fresh minced garlic.
- Bell Pepper– Any color bell pepper will work, but i like to use red and green bell peppers.
- Tomatoes– Use fresh tomatoes. Any large tomatoes will work.
- Tomato Paste– a thicker tomato sauce used to thicken
- Olive Oil– For sautéing, and the flavor pair well with tomatoes and garlic.
- Beef Broth– This broth will give your chili a more hearty and meaty flavor
- Salt and Pepper – Season to taste, will accentuate flavor
To Make The Spice Mix
- Keto Taco Seasoning– Store bought taco seasoning is full of sugar and artificial flavors that aren’t needed. Try our Keto Taco Seasoning Mix that goes well with any Mexican dish.
- Salt and Pepper– To taste
- Shredded Cheese– I like to use Cheddar but any of your favorite cheese will work
- Sour Cream– The creaminess balances out the spice
- Guacamole– Avocado is the perfect light topping packed with flavor
- Green Onions– For added crunch and flavor
- Green Chilies or Jalapeño Peppers – For a kick of heat
How To Make Low Carb Chili
- In a large pot on the stove top, sauté ground beef over medium-high heat until fully cooked. Remove any excess fat.
- Add olive oil, diced onion, garlic and bell pepper to the pot. Saute until vegetables are softened.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste and taco seasoning. Mis well until combined.
- Add in beef broth and bring mixture to a simmer. Reduce the low heat, cover the pot and let it cook for about 30-40 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Once Chili has simmered and all the flavors have melded together, remove from heat and serve.
- Add in your favorite toppings, sour cream, cheddar cheese, guacamole or chopped cilantro.
Tips To Make The Best Low Carb Chili
- Make sure to brown the ground beef until there is no pink left. This helps to give your chili a more robust flavor and prevents it from tasting too greasy.
- Make sure to simmer for at least 30 minutes, this allows all of the flavors to meld together and gives you a nice thick consistency.
- For extra depth of flavor, you can add a splash of Worcestershire sauce or a teaspoon of liquid smoke.
- No need to extra salt at the end of the dish as the taco seasoning and beef stock have plenty of salt and flavor in it already.
How To Make Low Carb Chili in Slow Cooker
If you are short on time and prefer to make this low carb chili recipe in a slow cooker or instant pot just sauté beef and vegetables on the stove until fully cooked and tender.
Add all the rest of the ingredients and cook on low heat for 6 hours. Make sure to reduce beef stock by half.
Instant Pot Option
Turn Instant Pot to saute and brown the ground beef with onions, bell peppers and garlic.
Drain, if desired, then return ingredients to Instant Pot.
Add beef broth, tomatoes, tomato paste and spices. Do not stir.
Still in saute mode, bring the mixture to a boil.
Turn off, secure the lid and then press the soup button and the minus button which will reduce the heat and time to 12 minutes.
Once soup cycle is complete, let the Instant Pot a 10 minute Natural Pressure Release (NPR) then you will do a Quick Press Release (QPR). Put a dish towel over valve so it doesn’t spew out all over the place.
Remove lid and enjoy.
Hearty Low Carb Chili Variations
Meat– Instead of beef you use ground turkey or ground chicken.
Vegetables– You can add any low carb vegetables that you prefer. Some of my other favorites are eggplant, spinach, zucchini and squash.
Seasoning– This is where you can really experiment and add in any of your favorite flavors. In the recipe it already has cayenne pepper, chili powder for spice but you never go wrong with cajun or Italian seasonings.
What To Serve With Keto Friendly Chili?
With this hearty low carb chili recipe you’ll want to compliment this dish with something light. Here are some of our favorite side dishes:
How To Store, Freeze and Reheat Keto Chili
Store– Chili tastes great as a leftover and is just as good the next day. Store your Keto Chili in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator. It will last for a week.
Freeze– Store in an freezer safe container or freezer bags and it will last up to 6 months.
Reheat– To reheat the chili, you can reheat in the microwave but for best taste reheat on the stove top until warm.
More Keto Recipes To Try
Best Keto Friendly Chili (No-Bean)
- 2 Pounds Ground Beef 80/20
- 1 Bell Pepper sliced
- 1 Large Onion Sweet or Yellow Onion
- 28 oz Fresh Tomatoes chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 3 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 1/2 Cups Beef Stock
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Pepper
For The Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp Keto Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 Tsp Salt to taste
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper to taste
- In a large pot or skillet, brown the ground beef over medium-high heat until fully cooked. Remove any excess fat.
- Add in diced onion, minced garlic, and chopped bell pepper to the pot. Saute until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and Keto Taco Seasoning. Mix well to combine all ingredients
- Pour in the beef stock and bring mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover the pot, and let it cook for about 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After the chili has simmered and the flavors have melded together, remove it from heat.
- Serve and garnish with your favorite toppings like shredded cheese, sour cream, green onions, jalapeños, and cilantro
How To Store
- Store- Chili tastes great as a leftover and is just as good the next day. Store your Keto Chili in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator. It will last for a week.
- Freeze- Store in an freezer safe container or freezer bags and it will last up to 6 months.
- Reheat- To reheat the chili, you can reheat in the microwave but for best taste reheat on the stove top until warm.