A quick an easy fully loaded soup.
At no additional cost to you, I make a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.
On a chilly day, what’s better than a big bowl of hamburger soup with macaroni? I could eat this for breakfast, lunch and dinner on the daily. No really. I’ve gone through fazes where I have literally eaten this every single days for months at a time. Even through the summer! It’s so filling you won’t even need anything with it, although who can resist a delicious cheese biscuit? Smothered in salty butter? Holy Moly I love food.
My kids love this soup too which is a major bonus, especially when it comes to Miss Picky Toddler. Macaroni noodles and corn are some of her favs so she’s more than willing to dive right in! My nine month old loves the broth and small diced vegetables so it’s a win-win!
How to make homemade hamburger soup
This recipe for Hearty Hamburger Soup with Macaroni is very simple to make.
Cook the beef and set aside. In a soup pot cook some onions and celery, add herbs, then carrots, potato, tomatoes, beans, corn, spices and beef broth. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Add macaroni noodles and cook until al denté. Serve hot!
What goes with hamburger soup?
Too loud? Sorry.. but oh my goodness the perfect pair for this yummy Hamburger Soup with Macaroni is definitely my all time favourite recipe for Easy Baking Powder Biscuits with Cheddar. The combo is RIDICULOUS!! Quick Pull-Apart Dinner Rolls are delicious to dunk into your soup!
Can you make hearty hamburger soup with macaroni in a slow cooker?
Oh definitely! I have on numerous occasion.
Cook your beef, onions and celery. Add them to the slow cooker with everything else except the macaroni noodles. Cook on low for 6-8 hours and add macaroni noodles for the last 10 minutes or so.
Can you freeze hamburger soup with macaroni noodles?
You can, however, if you plan to freeze your leftovers I recommend dividing the soup before you add the noodles. Once cooked, then reheated, pasta tends to get very overcooked and starts to fall apart. If I know I won’t be using up the whole pot of soup, perhaps just having one or two bowls, I will take out how much I need and add macaroni noodles just to that smaller portion.
Otherwise, make sure you don’t over cook your macaroni the first time, and reheat just until the soup reaches 165°. This way the macaroni won’t get super overcooked!
To freeze soup you can either divide it up into freezer safe plastic containers OR into freezer safe ziplock bags. I like the bags because it takes up less room in the freezer and it’s super easy to thaw: simply chuck the frozen bag of soup in a cold bowl of water for a couple of hours before dumping the contents into a pot to re-heat. Another way is to run the frozen bag under warm water until the bag releases the frozen soup. Place the soup into a pot and heat on low heat with a lid until fully heated.
Like this recipe? Try these next:
Subscribe to Mama Bear’s monthly newsletter to be kept up to date with the latest and greatest recipes!
Pin this for later!
Hearty Hamburger Soup with Macaroni
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 stocks celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can navy beans rinsed
- 1 5oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 1/3 cup macaroni noodles
- 1.5 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Heat a skillet on the stove and fry the ground beef, seasoned with salt and pepper, until cooked through. Drain grease and set aside.
- Heat oil in a soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Cook celery and onions for a few minutes until onions are transparent. Add garlic and dried herbs and cook another minute. Stir in the potatoes, carrots, diced tomatoes, navy beans, corn, tomato paste, sugar, salt, pepper and beef broth. I like to use my favourite cutting board so I don’t get burned! Bring soup to a simmer and allow to cook until the potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Add macaroni noodles to the soup and cook another 6-8 minutes, until the noodles are just cooked. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot!