At no additional cost to you, I make a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. All items are tools or ingredients I have used myself or I wouldn’t recommend them to you!
My Baby Turned ONE!Jump to Recipe
How does time fly by so fast? My little sweet baby girl turned one year old, it’s so crazy! It feels like yesterday we brought her home, all 6 lbs 14 ounces of her little sweetness. She came to us after two devastating miscarriages. She’s my rainbow baby. So naturally for her very first birthday, I would celebrate with nothing but rainbows and these Rainbow Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing are perfect. My oldest baby was my Rock through the tough times but my littlest girl is, and always will be, my sweet rainbow baby.
These Rainbow Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing were perfect for her birthday celebration! They are great for birthday parties, baby showers, or like my three year old suggests, ‘Just Because’. The cupcakes are light and fluffy with a hint of almond extract. Creating that beautiful rainbow pattern takes a bit of time but is easy and looks super cool! The cream cheese icing is simply delish. There is no such thing as too much of this stuff!
Rainbow Smash Cake!
I created this recipe to make 24 cupcakes but can easily be halved for a dozen rainbow beauties, or in the case of my littlest babes first birthday, 18 cupcakes and 1 smash cake! I simply took 1/3 cup from each colour and baked each in six small pyrex dishes. From there I used my 3″ cookie cutter to cut perfect circles out of each colour, and stacked them all up using sprinkle icing as the glue in between each layer! The result is simply adorable!
How to make rainbow cupcakes
After making the cake batter divide it six ways. Colour with gel food colouring until you’ve got the desired colours.
Build up the cupcakes layer by layer, just applying a small amount of each colour per layer. If you have leftover batter you can go back and fill in the spaces. Bake for 15-18 minutes at 350° until a toothpick comes out clean.
Once cooled, take a piping tip and cut a whole into the top of the cupcake. Keep aside the top of the piece you cut out.
Fill with sprinkles and replace the top of the cut out.
Pipe the cream cheese icing onto these adorable cupcakes and serve at your next party!
Have fun with these super fun and delicious Rainbow Cupcakes!
Love this recipe? Like Mama Bear’s Cook Book on Facebook so you don’t miss out on any super fun and adorable posts like this!
Pin this for later!
Rainbow Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing
- 6 egg whites
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 tsp clear vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 4 cups flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- red, orange, yellow, green, blue and red gel food colouring
- 6 disposable piping bags
- rainbow sprinkles
- white sprinkles
Cream Cheese Icing
- 2 x 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2.5-3 cups icing sugar
- Medium Bowl
- Piping Tip to hollow out cupcakes
- Heat oven to 350° and line 24 cupcake tins with 24 cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment whip the eggs for a few minutes until stiff peaks form. Scrape out the bowl and set aside. In the same bowl with the paddle attachment beat the butter, oil and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and almond extract.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add half to the butter and mix until just incorporated. Add half the buttermilk and mix until just incorporated. Do the same for the second half of the flour mixture and the same for the second half of the milk. Fold in the egg whites.
- Divide the batter into 6 different bowls and mix each with a different food colouring gel until the desired colour has been achieved. I used red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple. Fill 6 disposable piping bags with each bowl of batter.
- Pipe a very thin layer of red into the bottom of all 24 cupcake liners. You should use up the whole bag. Do the same with the orange then yellow, green, blue and last purple. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Let rest for ten minutes before transferring the cupcakes to a cooling rack.
Cream Cheese Icing
- To make the icing whip the cream cheese in the stand mixer with the paddle attachment until completely smooth. Whip in the butter then vanilla. Mix in sifted icing sugar until desired thickened has been achieved.
- Use the bottom of a piping tip to cut a hollow into the centre of each cupcake. Fill the space with rainbow sprinkles and place the cut circle back into the opening. Pipe the cream cheese icing onto each cupcake and top with white sprinkles. Beautiful!