Looking for an easy weeknight meal the whole family will love? You’ve love this Keto Teriyaki Chicken! Ready in under 30 minutes, it’s a quick and healthy dish loaded with chicken, vegetables and a delicious sauce.
At no additional cost to you, I may make a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.
Teriyaki Chicken is one of my most favourite dishes of all time. Bonus? My family loves it too!
I’ve been making this dish a ton since I created a Low Carb Teriyaki Sauce and Marinade. Teriyaki wings, drumsticks, salmon, Zucchini Noodle Stir Fry and my favourite? This Keto Teriyaki Chicken.
It’s super fast to make, especially if you have boneless skinless chicken thighs. Breast can be used instead but, FYI, thighs have way more flavour! Paired best with Cauliflower Rice or zucchini noodles, this dish has got it goin’ on! I hope you love it as much as we do! 🙂
Why it works
- The homemade sauce is very easy to make and super delicious, in my opinion, better than any sugar free teriyaki sauce you can buy.
- It’s sugar free, making this dish low carb and keto friendly, a much healthier option than using a store bought sauce.
- Make it your own! I like to pair teriyaki chicken with broccoli and cauliflower rice, however, you can choose whatever you like to have with your dish.
- Kid approved! The sweet and salty addicting chicken will have your kids finishing their dinner.. and asking for more!
Keto Chicken Teriyaki Ingredients
The base of this fabulous dish is my favourite Low Carb Teriyaki Sauce. You will need:
- soy sauce (can be substituted with coconut aminos for strict keto)
- sukrin gold sweetener (a brown sugar replacement sweetened with erythritol- a natural sweetener)
- apple cider vinegar
- sesame oil
- xanthan gum
Other than the sauce you will need broccoli, a touch of oil and boneless skinless chicken thighs. Honestly, I rarely buy them de boned because they are just so expensive, but they are easy to debone!
How to debone chicken thighs
Start by removing the skin from the top and sides of the thigh. Flip the thigh over and you will see the single large bone running the length of the thigh. Cut on either side of the bone so that it is fully exposed, then cut underneath the bone and remove it from the thigh.
Feel around for any extra cartilage, and remove any you can find; cartilage feels hard like bone. You can also remove any chunks of fat you find if you like. That’s it! Would you rather watch it happen? Check out this video.
My favourite dish to pair with this Keto Teriyaki Chicken is cauliflower rice. Never made it before? It’s super easy! Here is How to Make Cauliflower Rice.
Another great side dish is zucchini noodles! Check out this Zucchini Noodle Stir Fry recipe to see how they can be made and incorporated into this Keto Teriyaki Chicken dish.
How to make Keto Teriyaki Chicken
The first step is to sear the chicken thighs in a super hot pan so that they get a beautiful golden colour on both sides.
Heat a skillet on medium high heat with some oil and once nice and hot, add boneless skinless chicken thighs that have been seasoned with salt and pepper. Fry for a couple of minutes until the bottoms have browned, then flip them over and do the same with the other side.
In the meantime the sauce can be made.
Peel the garlic and ginger and grate both with a fine grater. Add them to a medium bowl and whisk in soy sauce, water, sukrin gold and apple cider vinegar.
Once the chicken has a beautiful sear on both sides, add the sauce to the skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, pop a lid on top and cook for 10 minutes, flipping the chicken half way, until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 180°.
Remove the chicken thighs from the skillet using a slotted scoop and place in a bowl. Whisk sesame oil with xanthan gum and whisk into the teriyaki sauce.
Using two forks, shred the thighs into chunks and return to the thickened sauce with the broccoli. Give them a stir and cover with the lid. Cook for 2 minutes.
Serve this deliciousness with cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles.
There are a ton of delicious vegetables that go great with this Keto Teriyaki Chicken. My favourite vegetable of all time is broccoli, so that’s what I use, but there are lots of others to choose from:
- Green Beans
- Bok Choy
- Carrots (in moderation)
Can soy sauce be used in keto diet?
Heck yes it can! But everything in moderation, right?
The soy sauce I use, Golden Dragon, has 1g carbs per TBSP, which really isn’t a lot in the grand scheme of things.
The biggest issue with soy sauce vs keto diet is that people who follow the strict keto diet do not consume soy products at all. This, of course, makes soy sauce a no go. So if you are strict keto, you can use coconut aminos instead 🙂
Love this recipe? Try these low carb favourites next:
Subscribe to Mama Bear’s monthly newsletter to be kept up to date on the latest and greatest recipes!
Keto Teriyaki Chicken
- 1 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups broccoli
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ c sukrin gold sweetener
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Cutting Board and Knife
- Bowl and Whisk
- Slotted Spoon
- Heat a skillet on medium high heat with 1 tbsp avocado or olive oil.
- Season the chicken thighs with a sprinkle of both salt and pepper, then add to the skillet once the oil is hot. Fry for a couple of minutes until the bottoms have browned then flip them over and do the same with the other side.
- Peel the garlic and ginger and grate both with a fine grater. Add them to a medium bowl and whisk in soy sauce, water, sukrin gold and apple cider vinegar.
- Once the chicken has been seared on both sides, add the sauce to the skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes, flipping the chicken half way through, until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 180°.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the skillet using a slotted scoop and place in a bowl. Whisk sesame oil with xanthan gum and whisk into the teriyaki sauce. Using two forks, shred the thighs into chunks and return them to the thickened sauce with the broccoli. Give them a stir and cover with the lid. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Serve this deliciousness with cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles.
2 thoughts on “Keto Teriyaki Chicken”
What a healthy and delicious recipe! And I love that it’s on the table in 30 minutes!