Hey there, foodies! Looking for a mouthwatering dish that won’t derail your keto lifestyle? Well, get ready to tantalize your taste buds with our irresistible Keto Chicken Parmesan recipe!
This low-carb twist on a classic Italian favorite is guaranteed to satisfy your cravings while keeping you on track with your health goals. So, put on your apron and get ready to embark on a flavor-packed journey that will leave you craving seconds. Trust me, you won’t believe this scrumptious dish is actually good for you!
Let’s dive into the world of crispy chicken, gooey cheese, and zesty tomato sauce, all wrapped up in a guilt-free package. It’s time to indulge in a keto-friendly delight that will have you coming back for more. Are you ready? Let’s get cooking!
Why You’ll Love This Keto Chicken Parmesan Recipe?
- A budget-friendly option that doesn’t compromise on taste or quality
- With straightforward instructions and readily available ingredients, this recipe is accessible to both novice and experienced cooks alike.
- Hit with both kids and adults, making it a versatile choice for family meals.
- Delivers the ultimate cheesy satisfaction.
- Packed with protein and healthy fats, which can help keep you feeling satisfied and full for longer.
Keto Chicken Parmesan Recipe Ingredients
Here is a comprehensive list of the ingredients utilized in this recipe. For detailed measurements and nutrition values, refer to our recipe card at the end of this page.
Boneless skinless chicken breasts – These are the main protein source for the dish. Boneless and skinless chicken breasts are lean cuts of meat, making them a healthier choice. They provide a mild flavor and a tender texture.
Salt and freshly ground black pepper – These common seasonings are used to enhance the flavor of the chicken and add a touch of seasoning. Kosher salt is preferred for its coarse texture and less intense salinity compared to table salt.
Almond flour – Almond flour adds a nutty flavor and a crispy texture when used to coat the chicken, making it perfect for a keto-friendly recipe.
Eggs – The beaten eggs act as a binding agent, helping the almond flour mixture stick to the chicken during the breading process.
Parmesan cheese – Freshly grated Parmesan cheese brings a rich and savory flavor to the dish. It’s used both in the coating mixture and as a topping.
Garlic powder – Adds a robust and aromatic garlic flavor to the chicken. It enhances the overall taste of the dish.
Onion powder – Onion powder contributes a mild and sweet onion flavor to the coating mixture. It adds depth to the overall taste.
Dried oregano – A versatile herb with a slightly bitter and earthy taste. It complements the Italian flavors in the dish and adds a hint of herbaceousness.
Vegetable oil – This is used for frying the chicken cutlets. You can use other high-heat cooking oils like avocado oil or coconut oil if preferred.
Tomato sauce – Look for a tomato sauce that is specifically labeled as low-carb and sugar-free to keep the recipe in line with ketogenic guidelines.
Shredded mozzarella cheese – Mozzarella cheese is known for its melting properties, making it the perfect cheesy topping for this dish. It adds a creamy and gooey texture when melted. Feel free to use other types of meltable cheese like provolone or a blend of Italian cheeses if desired.
Fresh basil leaves – Basil leaves are used as a garnish to add freshness and a pop of color to the finished dish. They also bring a pleasant herbal aroma that complements the other flavors. You can also experiment with other fresh herbs like parsley or oregano.
Keto Chicken Parmesan Recipe Instructions
Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). This step ensures that the oven is ready to bake the chicken cutlets once they are assembled.
2. Using a sharp knife, cut the chicken breasts in half crosswise. This step helps create thinner cutlets that cook more evenly and quickly.
3. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and black pepper. Sprinkling salt and pepper on the chicken adds flavor to the meat.
4. Prepare the breading station by setting up three separate shallow bowls. Place beaten eggs in one bowl, almond flour in another, and combine Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried oregano in the third bowl. Season the Parmesan mixture with salt and black pepper to enhance the flavors.
5. Working with one chicken cutlet at a time, dip it first into the almond flour, coating it well. Then dip it into the beaten eggs, allowing any excess to drip off. Finally, press the cutlet into the Parmesan mixture, ensuring it is fully coated. This breading process creates a crispy and flavorful outer layer.
6. Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken cutlets to the skillet. Cook them until they turn golden and are cooked through, which usually takes around 2 to 3 minutes per side. If needed, cook the cutlets in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan. Add more oil as necessary.
- Transfer the fried chicken cutlets to a 9″x13″ baking dish. This dish will be used for assembling and baking the chicken Parmesan.
- Spread the low-carb sugar-free tomato sauce evenly on top of each cutlet in the baking dish. The tomato sauce adds a tangy and saucy element to the dish.
- Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese over the tomato sauce, to cover each cutlet generously. The cheese will melt and create a gooey, cheesy topping.
- Bake the chicken in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and become bubbly and slightly golden. If you desire a more golden cheese topping, you can broil the chicken for an additional 3 minutes.
- Before serving, garnish the dish with fresh basil leaves for a pop of freshness and sprinkle some more Parmesan cheese on top. These final touches add an extra layer of flavor and enhance the presentation of the dish.
What to serve with Keto Chicken Parmesan Recipe?
When serving Keto Chicken Parmesan, you can pair it with a variety of low-carb sides to create a well-rounded and satisfying meal. Here are a few ideas:
Zucchini Noodles – Spiralize some fresh zucchini into noodles and sauté them in olive oil or butter. They make a great low-carb alternative to traditional pasta and pair well with the flavors of the chicken Parmesan.
Cauliflower Rice: Lightly steam or sauté cauliflower florets and then pulse them in a food processor until they resemble rice grains. Season it with salt, pepper, and herbs for a nutritious and low-carb “rice” side dish.
Roasted Vegetables: Toss a medley of low-carb vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, and cherry tomatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast them in the oven until tender and slightly caramelized for a flavorful and colorful side.
Mixed Green Salad: Prepare a refreshing salad with a mix of your favorite leafy greens, such as spinach, arugula, or romaine lettuce. Add some cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, and a light vinaigrette dressing for a fresh and crisp accompaniment.
Remember, these are just a few ideas, and you can mix and match sides based on your preferences. The goal is to choose low-carb options that complement the flavors of the chicken Parmesan while providing additional nutrients and textures. Enjoy your meal!
How to Store Keto Chicken Parmesan?
To store Keto Chicken Parmesan, ensure it has completely cooled down first. Transfer chicken into airtight containers or wrap them tightly with plastic wrap. Place the containers in the refrigerator and store for up to 3-4 days.
When reheating, you can either microwave individual portions or place them back in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) until heated through. You can microwave it, but the chicken coating can become slightly soggy.
Remember to garnish with fresh basil and sprinkle more Parmesan cheese before serving leftovers to freshen up the flavors. Properly storing the Keto Chicken Parmesan will help maintain its quality and taste for enjoyable meals later on.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts?
Yes, you can use chicken thighs if you prefer. Keep in mind that cooking times may vary, so adjust accordingly to ensure the chicken is cooked through.
Can I make this recipe spicy?
Absolutely! If you enjoy a spicy kick, you can add some crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to the Parmesan mixture or the tomato sauce for some heat.
Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
The recipe is already gluten-free as it uses almond flour instead of traditional wheat flour for the breading. Just ensure that the other ingredients, such as the seasonings and tomato sauce, are gluten-free as well, if necessary.
Can I use alternative cooking methods for the chicken instead?
To achieve a crispy exterior without frying, you can opt to bake or air fry the chicken cutlets.
- For baking, place the breaded chicken on a baking tray and bake at 180°C/350°F for approximately 20 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking time.
- If using an air fryer, simply place the breaded chicken in the air fryer basket and cook at 200°C/400°F for about 10 minutes, flipping them halfway through to ensure even browning.
Regardless of the cooking method you choose, it’s important to ensure that the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 65°C to ensure it is fully cooked. Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature for accuracy.
Keto Chicken Parmesan
- Shallow bowls
- Baking dish
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 large eggs (beaten)
- 3 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese + extra for serving
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup low-carb sugar-free tomato sauce
- Fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Using a sharp knife, cut the chicken breasts in half crosswise. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and black pepper.
- Place the beaten eggs and almond flour in two separate shallow bowls. In a third shallow bowl, combine Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried oregano. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Working with one chicken cutlet at a time, dip it into the almond flour, then into the beaten eggs, and finally into the Parmesan mixture, pressing to coat it evenly.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add the chicken cutlets and cook until they are golden and cooked through, approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side. Cook them in batches if necessary, adding more oil as needed.
- Transfer the fried chicken cutlets to a 9"x13" baking dish. Spread the tomato sauce evenly on top of each cutlet and then sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese over them.
- Bake the chicken in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. If desired, broil the chicken for an additional 3 minutes to achieve a golden cheese topping.
- Before serving, garnish the dish with fresh basil leaves and sprinkle more Parmesan cheese on top.