Keto Hollandaise Sauce
Rich and lemony, creamy and beautiful, nothing beats this Keto Hollandaise Sauce when poured over perfectly poached eggs, baked salmon or steamed asparagus!
Servings 4 servings
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 large egg yolks *see note 1
- 2 tsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 pinch ground cayenne
- 1 pinch ground black pepper optional
Small or medium saucepan
Heat safe bowl
Melt the butter and set it aside. Fill a saucepan with an inch of water and bring it to a boil, then place a heat safe bowl over top of the saucepan to be sure it is big enough without falling.
Remove the bowl from the heat and whisk the egg yolks and lemon juice inside the bowl until fully combined. Place the bowl onto the saucepan and reduce the heat to low *see note 2. Whisk the egg yolk and lemon constantly, until it becomes frothy and thick, then continue to whisk until it becomes super thick and no longer frothy, about 5 minutes. There will be no runny liquid left in the bowl. - *see note 3
Once thick, remove the bowl from the heat and slowly pour in the melted butter while constantly whisking *see note 4. Mix in the sea salt, cayenne and ground black pepper. Serve immediately *see note 5.
- Remove all egg white from the yolk, or it may not thicken properly.
- Be sure to reduce the heat of the saucepan. If the egg yolk gets too hot, you'll end up with scrambled eggs instead of a nice smooth sauce. The water should not be rapidly boiling, but either steaming or gently simmering.
- Cook the egg yolk/lemon until super thick and no longer frothy. This could take longer than 5 minutes, depending on how hot the simmering water below is. There will be no runny liquid left - be sure to cook it long enough! I find I'll be whisking, whisking, whisking, (thinking okay, any time now) and then suddenly it with thicken up.
- When pouring in the melted butter, slowly drizzle it in while constantly whisking so that the Keto Hollandaise Sauce does not break.
- If you do not need the sauce right away, keep it warm by placing a piece of plastic directly on the surface of the sauce (rather than wrapping the bowl in plastic) or pour the sauce into a plastic baggy, remove all of the air, and keep it floating in a bowl of warm water.
Nutrition facts are an estimate only! The ingredients you choose could have different nutritional values than the ingredients I have used.
Serving: 2TBSP | Calories: 181kcal | Carbohydrates: 0.5g | Protein: 1.4g | Fat: 20.3g | Sodium: 295mg