Easy Keto Stuffed Peppers with Beef, Chorizo & Basil
Packed with flavour, these Keto Stuffed Peppers are loaded with ground beef, chorizo, basil, parmesan cheese and more. They are delicious and easy to make!
Servings 6 peppers
- 6 small/medium bell peppers
- 2 tbsp avocado oil divided
- ¼ cup onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pinch dehydrated red pepper flakes
- ½ lb ground beef
- 100 g mild Italian sausage - about 1 sausage link or spicy if you prefer
- 1 x 398 ml organic diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp organic tomato paste
- ¼ c parmesan freshly grated
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 8-10 leaves fresh basil
- 1 cup mozzarella
Heat oven to 425° and wash the peppers well with cool water. Chop the top off of each pepper and remove the seeds from inside. Place them inside a 9x7" baking dish and drizzle 1 tbsp avocado oil evenly over the peppers. Roast in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, until the peppers are soft and roasted. While the peppers are roasting, the 'stuffing' can be made.
Heat a skillet on medium heat and add 1 tbsp avocado oil. Finely dice the onion, add it to the skillet once the oil is hot and cook until the onion is translucent. Mince the garlic or use a garlic press and add it to the onion along with the red pepper flakes. Stir and cook for 1 minute until fragrant, then add the ground beef and chorizo - for the chorizo, simply squeeze the meat out from the casing into the skillet, then discard the casing.
Cook until the beef is no longer pink, then stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, sea salt and black pepper. Chop the basil into thin strips, grate the parmesan cheese and stir both into the beef mixture until everything is thoroughly combined.
Use tongs to dump any liquid from inside each pepper, then place back inside the baking dish. Evenly stuff the peppers with the meat sauce and then grate the mozzarella. Divide the mozza evenly between the stuffed peppers, placing the cheese just on top of each.
Place the low carb stuffed peppers back in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve hot and enjoy!
- Choose peppers that can 'sit' on a flat surface without falling over, this will make them easier to work with and easier to serve!
- Before removing the tops from the peppers, it's a good idea to see how they 'sit' on a surface. Cut them so that the opening is level!
- It's okay if the peppers are tight inside the baking dish, we actually want this to happen, that way they have 'buddies' to lean against while they roast with and without stuffing.
- Buy your basil no more than 3 days before you plan on making these low carb stuffed peppers.
Nutrition facts are an estimate only! The ingredients you choose could have different nutritional values than the ingredients I have used.
Deduct fibre from the total carbs to get 9.5 g net carbs per stuffed pepper.
Serving: 1stuffed pepper | Calories: 232kcal | Carbohydrates: 12.5g | Protein: 10.6g | Fat: 15.9g | Fiber: 3g | Net Carbs: 9.5g