Low Carb Caesar Salad with Kale and Cheese Crisps
Check out this healthy and delicious Low Carb Caesar Salad with Kale and Cheese Crisps for a keto approved version of the traditional caesar salad.
Servings 6 people
- 1 head green kale
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce
- 1 cup parmesan cheese such as reggiano or grana padano
- 75 grams aged cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2-1 cup homemade caesar dressing or your favourite low carb caesar dressing
Heat oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with non stick baking mat or parchment paper.
The size of cheese you'll need to cut totally depends on the size of the block of cheese you have. I use Armstrong aged white cheddar so I cut four thick slices of cheese from the block and cut each slice in half.
Lay the cheese evenly on the baking sheet and sprinkle with a pinch of garlic powder. Bake for 6-8 minutes, until the cheese is nice and toasty. *Look in the post above for details about how crispy to make the crisps.
Once the cheese crisps have baked long enough, remove from the pan and allow to cool on paper towel for just a moment, then slice the crisps into strips and allow to fully cool to room temperature.
Low Carb Caesar Salad with Kale
Wash the kale and romaine and remove the center rib from the kale. Thinly chop both the kale and the romaine and toss together in a mixing bowl. Grate the parmesan cheese and mix with the greens.
Drizzle in about 1/3 - 1/2 cup dressing and toss to coat well. Add more dressing until the salad is at dressed as you like. Serve with extra freshly grated parmesan and the cheese crisps.
- Bake those cheese crisps until crispy and then slice up before the cheese cools too much.
- The center rib from the kale is something that definitely needs to be removed. It has a fairly terrible texture, so is not enjoyable to eat.
- Do you find your kale bitter? If yes, massage some of the dressing into the kale about a half an hour before you wish to serve the salad. This will allow the dressing to work into the kale, taking away some of the bitterness and softening the leaves slightly.
Nutrition facts are an estimate only! The ingredients you choose could have different nutritional values than the ingredients I have used.
Deduct fibre from the total carbs to get 5.3 g net carbs per serving.
Nutrition Facts are based of if the whole salad is divided into 6 portions.
Calories: 304kcal | Carbohydrates: 8.1g | Protein: 11.8g | Fat: 27.2g | Sodium: 510mg | Fiber: 2.8g | Net Carbs: 5.3g