This delicious Yam and Red Potato Salad is drenched in a creamy vinaigrette and packed with crispy bacon!
At no additional cost to you, I make a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. All items are tools or ingredients I have used myself or I wouldn’t recommend them to you!Jump to Recipe
Is there anything better than yams, red potatoes and bacon all mixed together and drenched in a creamy vinaigrette? Hmmm.. cant seem to think of much!
This recipe for Yam and Red Potato Salad with Bacon is one of my favourite recipes to pack for a barbecue or potluck. It is always a hit and can easily be made ahead of time!
I fell in love with the idea of yam and red potato salad quite a few years ago. The deli department, where I used to work, brought in a yam potato salad that looked soooo yummy, however, there was always something so… processed… about it.
So began the work of creating a delicious Yam and Red Potato Salad, which of course had to include bacon. (I am a firm believer that potato salad is not potato salad without bacon.) I believe this intense vinaigrette plays wonderfully with the yams, and look forward to reading your opinion too!
What is in a Yam and Red Potato Salad?
This delicious salad is made up of yams, red potatoes, bacon, celery and green onion.
The dressing is red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, salt, pepper, mayonnaise and sour cream.
How to make Yam and Red Potato Salad with Bacon
Fill two medium saucepans halfway up with water and bring to a boil.
Chop the yams into bite sized pieces and add to one pot. Chop the red potatoes into bite sized pieces and add to the second pot. Boil the yams and red potatoes until they are JUST fork tender, about 10 minutes.
While the yams and potatoes are cooking, mix red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Strain the yams and potatoes then toss gently in the vinegar bowl until all the liquid has been absorbed. Spread out onto a baking sheet to cool.
Once the yams and red potatoes have cooled completely, fry up the bacon until nice and crispy, set aside, then dice up the green onion and celery.
Mix mayonnaise with sour cream, then add the green onion, celery and bacon. Gently toss the yams and red potatoes with the dressing. Serve and enjoy!
What goes with Yam and Red Potato Salad?
There are loads of dishes that pair wonderfully with this Yam and Potato Salad with Bacon. Here is a list of my favourites:
Barbecued chicken breast
And type of burger!
Tips and Tricks
Here are a couple of tips and tricks I have come across over the last few years of building this salad.
- Check the yams and potatoes often, as you do not want them to over cook. If this happens, they will smear when you toss them with the other ingredients.
- Going off of point #1, the reason I cook the yams separate from the red potatoes is because sometimes one will take longer to cook than the other.
- If you do not like an intense vinaigrette, cut back on the amount of red wine vinegar, or add some extra sour cream.
Love this recipe? Try these next:
Subscribe to Mama Bear’s monthly newsletter to be kept up to date with the latest and greatest!
Yam and Red Potato Salad with Bacon
- 2 lbs yams
- 3 lbs red potatoes
- 3 celery stalks
- 1/2 cup green onion diced
- 8 slices bacon
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 x Medium Saucepans
- Large Mixing Bowl
- 2 x Baking Sheets
- Fill both saucepans halfway with water and bring to a boil.
- Peel just the yams, chop them into bite sized pieces and add to one of the boiling pots of water. Leave the skin on the red potatoes, chop into bite sizes pieces and add to the second pot of boiling water.
- Heat a skillet on medium and cook the bacon until crispy, then set aside to cool. Cook the yams and potatoes are JUST fork tender, about 10 minutes, then strain.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the red wine vinegar, dijon, salt and pepper. Add the strained yams and potatoes while still hot and gently toss until the liquid has been fully absorbed. Lay evenly on the baking sheets to cool.
- When the yams and potatoes are completely cool, prep the rest of the ingredients. Dice up the green onion, chop the celery and crumble the bacon.
- In the large bowl combine the mayo and sour cream, then mix in the celery and green onion. Gently toss the yams, red potatoes and bacon into the sauce.