Keto Teriyaki Beef Skewers
Who doesn't love flavourful beef on a stick? These Keto Teriyaki Beef Skewers are marinated, then tossed onto a hot bbq or grill for a fast and tasty meal!
Servings 4 servings
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup sukrin gold sweetener
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger grated or minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 pinch xanthan gum
Keto Teriyaki Beef Skewers
Marinate that beef
Add all of the marinade ingredients, except xanthan gum, to a small saucepan, whisk, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat so that the sauce is gently simmering, and cook this way for 15 minutes.
Remove from the heat and pour the sauce into a heat safe container. Return 1/4 cup of the sauce back to the small sauce pan and sprinkle in a pinch of xanthan gum. Heat on medium low heat, stirring until thick; a moment or two.
Remove from heat and pour into a separate heat safe container. Cool both until at least room temperature.
Take the flank steak and slice it against the grain, nice and thin, until the whole steak has been sliced up into thin ribbons.
Toss the beef into the marinade, saving the smaller portioned sauce for later use. Place both the beef and extra sauce in the refrigerator and allow the beef to marinate for 1-24 hours.
Cook the goods
From here you can decide to either toss these onto a grill, barbecue or broil them in the oven.
Either way, fire up your heat source of choice. If using wood skewers, pre soak them in water for 15-30 minutes before adding the beef.
Load up each skewer with marinated beef, then either grill, barbecue or broil for 5-7 minutes, brushing the thickened teriyaki sauce over the Keto Teriyaki Beef Skewers halfway through the cooking process.
*If using the oven, line a baking sheet with a non stick baking mat for the skewers.
Serve hot and enjoy!
- I always use fresh ginger and garlic where it works - in this recipe? It's essential. In a pinch you can sub the garlic for 1/4 tsp garlic powder and the ginger for 1/4 tsp ground ginger, but, the fresh is, 100%, the way to go.
- Be sure to cool your marinade to at least room temperature before mixing in the beef, other wise the hot marinade will begin to cook the beef, which we do not want.
- Slice the beef against the grain. This means against the lines running along the flank steak - this will make the skewers tender rather than tough.
Nutrition facts are an estimate only! The ingredients you choose could have different nutritional values than the ingredients I have used.
* Net carb count excludes both fibre and sugar alcohols, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people.
Deduct fibre ( 0.1 g ) and sugar alcohols ( 3.8 g ) to get 0.7 g net carbs per serving.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 168kcal | Carbohydrates: 4.6g | Protein: 23.6g | Fat: 7.4g | Sodium: 294mg | Fiber: 0.1g | Sugar Alcohols: 3.8g | Net Carbs: 0.7g