Keto Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Skip the take out with these healthy and delicious Keto Sweet and Sour Meatballs. Low carb and sugar free, this dish is always a hit, for good reason!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tsp monk fruit / erythritol granular sweetener or your sweetener of choice
- ½ tsp Chinese 5 spice powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp soy sauce or coconut aminos for strict keto
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp minced or grated ginger
- 4 small white mushrooms
- 2 tbsp green onion
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1 red pepper
- 1 small onion
Heat oven to 375° and line a baking sheet with a non stick baking mat or spray with olive or avocado oil. Set aside
Wash the mushrooms then finely dice. Chop the green onion and mince the cilantro. Peel the garlic and ginger then grate them with a zester or finely mince them both.
To a medium mixing bowl add the ground beef, granular sweetener, Chinese 5 spice powder, sea salt, ground black pepper, soy sauce, sesame oil, egg, grated garlic, grated ginger, diced mushrooms, chopped green onion and minced cilantro. Mix well until fully combined then knead in the almond flour until fully absorbed.
Scoop out 1 TBSP sized portions and spread out evenly on the baking sheet. You should get around 30 meatballs. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, until the internal temperature of the balls reach 165°.
Heat olive or avocado oil in the skillet. Once hot, add the onion and red pepper and fry until the onion is translucent.
Whisk xanthan gum and sesame oil in a medium sized bowl. Add the apple cider vinegar, ketchup, water, sukrin gold sweetener, granular sweetener, soy sauce and grated ginger. Whisk until smooth, then pour into the skillet once the red pepper and onion are cooked.
Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook until thick, about a minute or two. Once the meatballs are done, add them into the sauce and toss to coat. Serve hot over Cauliflower Rice or Zoodles!
See post above for details about the sweetener and ketchup options.
- Dice the mushrooms into very small pieces. This will make it easier to form the meatballs.
- I like to use a TBSP measuring spoon to form the balls, that way each ball will be the same size, which is how they are baked evenly.
- Be sure to whisk the xanthan gum with the sesame oil first. This will keep the xanthan gum from clumping.
Nutrition facts are an estimate only! The ingredients you choose could have different nutritional values than the ingredients I have used.
* Net carb count excludes both fibre and sugar alcohols, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people.
Deduct fibre ( 2g ) and sugar alcohols ( 23.6 ) from total carbs to get 5.5 g net carbs per serving. This recipe makes 4 servings.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 391kcal | Carbohydrates: 31.1g | Protein: 38.6g | Fat: 21.2g | Sodium: 1183mg | Fiber: 2g