Crispy Low Carb Chicken Nuggets
Keto friendly and gluten free, make these Crispy Low Carb Chicken Nuggets in just 30 minutes for a fun meal or appetizer the whole family will love!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup water
- 100 g pork rinds
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
Heat oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with a non stick baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
Cut the chicken breast into nugget sized pieces, about 1 - 1 ½ inch cubes. Set aside. Whisk ¼ cup water into the egg until fully combined and set aside.
Crush the pork rinds while still in its packaging by smashing the bag with a rolling pin, until finely crushed. Empty the pork rinds into a medium sized mixing bowl and mix in the parmesan cheese, chili powder, garlic powder, onion power, salt and pepper. Mix well, crushing any large clumps of pork rinds you find.
Make and bake
Use one hand for the egg wash only and the other for only the coating. Grab one piece of chicken with your egg wash hand and toss it in the egg wash. Place it into the coating and using your other hand, toss the chicken around to fully coat. Place the coated chicken onto the prepared baking sheet.
Repeat for each piece of chicken then go back and double dip each piece of chicken, first in the egg wash and then into the coating. Continue until all the egg wash and coating have been used it, you should at least get each piece of the chicken double dipped.
Bake the Low Carb Chicken Nuggets in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, until the internal temperature of the largest piece reaches 180°. Serve hot and enjoy!
See post above for delicious dip ideas!
- If you bought chicken breast with the bone in and skin on, no worries, just remove the skin, then carefully cut the bone away from the breast. Never done it before? Watch this video.
- I like to use a rolling pin to crush the pork rinds not just because it's fun, but also because it does an excellent job of crushing them into the fine crumble you need for this recipe.
- Try your best not to mix up your hands while breading the chicken. When pork rinds get wet, they tend to clump together, making it really difficult to use as a coating. We want all that coating on the chicken, not left in a bowl all clumped together.
Nutrition facts are an estimate only! The ingredients you choose could have different nutritional values than the ingredients I have used.
Deduct fibre from the total carbs to get 1 g net carbs per serving of 5 nuggets.
Serving: 5nuggets | Calories: 317kcal | Carbohydrates: 1.6g | Protein: 47.1g | Fat: 13.2g | Sodium: 675mg | Fiber: 0.6g