Slow Cooker Low Carb Beef Vegetable Soup
Loaded with beef and low carb vegetables, this delicious Slow Cooker Low Carb Beef Vegetable Soup is perfect for lunch or an easy weeknight meal.
Servings 6 bowls
- 1 ½ lb stew beef or beef steak
- 2 tbsp olive or avocado oil divided
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¾ tsp dried thyme
- 1 ½ tsp dried basil
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- ½ lb green beans trimmed and chopped into 1” pieces
- 1 x798 ml can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups beef bone stock or beef broth
Heat a skillet on medium high heat with a tbsp of oil. Combine the garlic, oregano, thyme, basil, sea salt and black pepper in a medium bowl and set aside. Chop the beef into small pieces and mix with the herb blend, then once the oil is nice and hot, sear the beef for 1-2 minutes, until the edges are golden brown.
Move the meat to the slow cooker then return the skillet to the stove with a tbsp of oil. Once hot, fry the onion, celery and pepper until the onion is translucent. Scrape the veggies into the slow cooker and mix in the green beans, tomatoes and beef stock.
Stir then cook on high for 3-4 hours or low 5-6 hours. Adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- What are the best cuts of steak for slow cooking? Can't find stew meat? That's totally okay, there are certain cuts that are great for slow cooking. Look for either a chunk steak, round steak, or blade steak. These are all great cuts for slow cooking!
- Don't have a slow cooker? Make this soup on the stove! After searing the beef, remove from the heat and fry the other veggies until the onion is translucent. Add everything together in a soup pot and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for an hour or so.
- I know it's tempting to simply toss everything into the slow cooker all at once and turn it on, but, searing the beef first helps to lock in moisture, giving you a juicer meat. Frying the onions and other veggies first creates a better textured soup.
Nutrition facts are an estimate only! The ingredients you choose could have different nutritional values than the ingredients I have used.
Deduct fibre from the total carbs to get 7 g net carbs per serving.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 424kcal | Carbohydrates: 11.7g | Protein: 33.8g | Fat: 27.7g | Sodium: 1421mg | Fiber: 4.7g | Net Carbs: 7g