Instant Pot Low Carb Refried Beans
Life just got a whole lot tastier with these Instant Pot Low Carb Refried beans made from black soy beans for all your delicious refried-beanie needs.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 2 cups
- 2 cans Eden black soy beans
- 2 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 ½ cups water
Press or mince some garlic and chop the jalapeño and set it aside. Turn the instant pot to sauté and add the oil. Once hot, stir in the cumin, chili powder and garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
Deglaze the pot with 1/2 cup water and scrape off all the little bits from the bottom of the pot. Pour in two cans of rinsed black soy beans then the rest of the water and lime juice. Top with the jalapeños and sea salt, secure the lid of the instant pot and turn the steam release valve to the sealed position.
Turn the instant pot on to Pressure Cook (or Manual depending on your model) and cook for 20 minutes, naturally release for 5 minutes then, very carefully, using necessary precautions, quick release.
Now you'll want to purée until smooth. There are two methods you could use:
Immersion Blender - After the steam has been completely removed, open the Instant Pot lid and purée until smooth with an immersion blender.
Blender - After the steam has been completely removed, open the Instant Pot lid and pour the contents into a heat safe bowl. Refrigerate until cool then purée in a blender until smooth.
- I like to use gloves to avoid the dreaded jalapeño juice burn! If you don't have any gloves, the jalapeño juice can be scrubbed from your skin by first washing your hands with olive oil, then washing the olive oil from your skin with soap and water.
- How do you like your spicy? Discard all of the seeds if you don't like spicy refried beans, or save them all including the membrane and pith if you do!
- Make sure to scrub all of the blackened bits from the bottom of the instant pot after the seasonings have seared. If there is some left, you could get the dreaded BURN error!
- Be sure the steam release valve is set to the sealed position, otherwise the Instant Pot won't come to full pressure, meaning the refried beans won't cook!
- If the consistency is too thin: a) it will thicken once cool or b) sauté for 5 minutes after puréeing
Nutrition facts are an estimate only! The ingredients you choose could have different nutritional values than the ingredients I have used.
Deduct fibre from the total carbs to get 1.8 g net carbs per serving.
Serving: 2TBSP | Calories: 115kcal | Carbohydrates: 7.1g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 7.2g | Sodium: 384mg | Fiber: 5.3g