Instant Pot Low Carb Chicken Taco Soup
Get all the flavour of a slow cooked soup and none of the waiting in this deliciously easy Instant Pot Low Carb Chicken Taco Soup.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 5 bowls
- 1 tbsp avocado or olive oil divided
- 1 small white onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1-1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups bone stock or chicken broth
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1 398 ml can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups tex mex shredded cheese
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
Optional Garnish - choose one or a combination!
- cheese crisps see post above for instructions
- tex mex shredded cheese
- raw diced tomatoes
- green onion
- sour cream
- raw diced peppers
Turn your instant pot to saute and once hot, add 1/2 tbsp of avocado or olive oil. Dice the onion and red pepper and add to the hot pot. Cook until the onion in translucent, then scrape out into bowl and set aside.
While the onions are cooking mix up the rub. Press the garlic and add to a small bowl with the chili powder, paprika, cumin, oregano and salt. Massage the rub into the chicken breasts.
Once the onion and pepper have been removed add another 1/2 tbsp oil to the instant pot. Once the oil is hot, sear both sides of the seasoned chicken breasts for a minute or so on each side. While the chicken is searing chop up the jalapeños. If you don't like a spicy soup, be sure to remove all the seeds or it'll be super spicy. Remove the chicken once browned and turn the instant pot off.
Deglaze the instant pot by pouring 1/2 cup of the bone stock or chicken broth in and scraping away all the little bits from the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
Add the chicken back into the broth and, without mixing, dump the remaining ingredients on top of the chicken in this order: onion and red pepper, chopped jalapeños, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and lastly the remaining bone stock or chicken broth. Again, do not mix.
Secure the lid of the instant pot and turn the valve from venting to the sealed position. Cook on the Pressure Cook or Manual setting (depending on your model) for 25 minutes, naturally release for 5 minutes, then VERY carefully, using the necessary precautions, quick release.
Once all the steam has been removed, open the lid of the instant pot. Remove the chicken and mix the shredded tex mex cheese into the soup. Use two forks to shred the chicken into chunks and place back into the soup. Mix and serve immediately with your choice toppings!
See post above for how to make cheese crisps and slow cooker instructions.
- Be very careful when working with jalapeño peppers. The juices can burn your skin, so I recommend using gloves when touching them while dicing. If you get some juice on your skin, wash with olive oil before washing with soap and water.
- How spicy do you like it? If you do not want a spicy soup, discard all of the jalapeño seeds. If you do like it spicy, add them all!
- Make sure to deglaze the bottom of your instant pot well, otherwise the BURN message will want to display and ruin your day.
- I know it's hard, but don't mix the ingredients together before they have gone through the pressure cooking stage. This is another way you could get the BURN message. Tomato paste and diced tomatoes are super thick and can easily stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Be sure the steam release valve is set to the correct sealed position, other wise the Instant Pot will not come up to full pressure, meaning your soup won't cook!
Nutrition facts are an estimate only! The ingredients you choose could have different nutritional values than the ingredients I have used.
Deduct fibre from total carbs to get 7.4 g net carbs per serving.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 291kcal | Carbohydrates: 9.9g | Protein: 36.2g | Fat: 11.4g | Sodium: 1737mg | Fiber: 2.5g