Whether you want one batch or ten, this deliciously flavourful Keto taco seasoning takes only a few moments to throw together.
Ah yes, tacos. Hands of those who fall to tacos when they are short on time or can’t think of anything to make… 🙋♀️
For me tacos aren’t just ‘oh crap, what about dinner?’ as I’m walking down the grocery isle. My family is always so, so pumped, when I say we are having them for dinner, especially Zoey. She loves to ‘make’ dinner and her favourite meal to make is tacos. So if I ever say out loud ‘what should I make for dinner tonight?’ I almost always hear her little voice pipe up ‘TAH-TOS!!!’
So, once upon a time, I used to buy taco seasoning. In packets. Yeah… that happened… more than once… until I began to actually read the labels on the food I was putting into my body. I couldn’t believe how much crap is in taco seasoning packets! Here is an example of a very popular taco seasoning:
Chili pepper, salt, maltodextrin, spice, onion powder, corn starch, yellow corn flour. Contains less than 2% of: partially hydrogenated soybean oil, silicon dioxide (anticaking agent), sunflower and/or cottonseed oil, natural flavor, ethoxyquin (preservative).
Pretty bad right? How about, instead, we mix a whole bunch of spices together to create our own homemade low carb taco seasoning?
Let’s do it! 🙌🏻
Why it works
1. Preservative free! This Low Carb Taco Seasoning uses 100% dried spices, making this a much healthier alternative to the store bought stuff.
2. Easy to make – simply toss it all together for a deliciously easy recipe.
3. Make a large batch so that all you have to do it grab a couple of spoonfuls from your Keto taco seasoning stash to make your dish.
Well you won’t be needing any maltodextrin, corn flour, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, silicon dioxide, sunflower and/or cottonseed oil, natural flavor or ethoxyquin.
How to make Keto Taco Seasoning
So, do you want to make a single batch? Test the flavour before you make a great big batch to keep on hand for all your taco seasoned needs? All you need to do is take whatever quantity you decide on and mix it all up in a bowl. It’s that easy.
When you are ready to make tacos, cook your meat until it’s no longer pink, stir in 2.5 tbsp Homemade Low Carb Taco Seasoning per pound and mix in about 1/4 c water. Let the taco meat simmer until the water has evaporated and the desired consistency has been reached.
1. Make a large batch so that you always have some taco seasoning on hand.
2. Want your tacos a little sweeter/thicker? Go ahead and add a dash of your low carb sweetener of choice and/or a pinch of xanthan gum right before the tacos have finished cooking.
3. Keep this seasoning in an air tight container in a cool, dark place like the back of a cupboard – it can last for 1-2 years if stored properly!
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there carbs in taco seasoning?
In store bought taco seasoning you’ll find ingredients like sugar and cornstarch or flour. That’s why it’s best to make your own Keto taco seasoning at home. This recipe does have some carbs, but it’s from the herbs and spices, not unnecessary ingredients.
How long can low carb taco seasoning be stored for?
If stored properly, this Keto taco seasoning should last 1-2 years! That’s why I like to make a big ol’ batch and just keep it stored in an air tight bag or jar.
What are all the ways to use Keto Taco Seasoning?
Besides Keto Tacos, you’ve gotta try making a 7 Layer Dip or Hot Bean and Cheese Dip, and pair it with Low Carb Tortilla Chips. Use this Keto taco mix as a dry rub for chicken wings, or in scrambled eggs with peppers and cheese!
Subscribe to Mama Bear’s monthly newsletter to be kept up to date on the latest and greatest recipes!
Homemade Keto Taco Seasoning
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ⅛ tsp cayenne
- Glass Jar (if making a large batch)
- Mix ingredients together and use in your favourite taco recipes! Slide the bar over the serving size over to make a large batch to have on hand.
How to make Tacos
- Heat a skillet on medium high heat and once hot, add your ground meat. Cook until the meat is no longer pink, then add 2.5 Tbsp homemade low carb taco seasoning per pound of meat. Stir, then add 1/4 cup water and bring to a low simmer. Once the water has reduced, your taco meat is all ready to go!
- Check out these 4 Ways to Do Low Carb Tacos for taco ideas!
- Make a large batch so that you always have some taco seasoning on hand.
- Want your tacos a little sweeter/thicker? Go ahead and add a dash of your low carb sweetener of choice and/or a pinch of xanthan gum right before the tacos have finished cooking.
- Keep this seasoning in an air tight container in a cool, dark place like the back of a cupboard – it can last for 1-2 years if stored properly!