The problem with these Yam Fries?
It’s impossible to stop eating them!
Epic Yam Fries
with Chipotle Mayo
Jump to Recipe
No Joke, these Yam Fries are the best I’ve ever had, by a long shot.
Loaded with spices, brown sugar and olive oil, baked or barbecued to Epic crispyness then dunked in Chipotle Mayo? Now I’m drooling. And I just finished a giant plate of them. By myself. In fact I’m so full I feel sick, yet if there was one last lonely fry you better believe I’d be chowing down right now… or two… or three…
These Epic Yam Fries with Chipotle Mayo are really the only way I super enjoy yam fries. I find the generic fries lifeless, flavourless and the texture is always so, so wrong.
These fries are anything but in the lacking department and are especially crispy and delicious! I hope you love them as much as I do!
How do you make yam fries?
On the barbecue
Heat up the barbecue and spray a piece of tin foil with cooking spray. Chop some yams into wedges and toss in a mixing bowl with spices, brown sugar and oil.
Lay the yam fries evenly on the tin foil and add an extra sheet of foil to make a ‘boat’ and then barbecue those beauties!
In the oven
Heat the oven to 400° and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Chop some yams into wedges and toss in a mixing bowl with spices, brown sugar and oil.
Lay the yam fries evenly on the baking sheet and then bake those beauties!
Don’t forget the Chipotle Mayo!
I absolutely love chipotle mayo. I can’t have yam fries without it.. why wouldn’t I have chipotle mayo with yam fries? The flavours pair beautifully together!
What’s great about this chipotle mayo besides its epic flavour? It’s crazy easy to make! Whisk three simple ingredients and BOOM. Amazing Chipotle Mayo for all your saucy and dipping needs!
My favourite brand of Chipotle Hot Sauce is Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce. Whisk this with some mayonnaise and a pinch of salt.
How long do you cook yam fries?
These yam fries take about 20 minutes to cook, wether barbecued or baked, flipping half way through the cooking time. They are ready then they are beautiful and toasty like the photo below! Yum!
Tips and Tricks
There may be a couple of problems you could run into with these yam fries.
- They tend to smoke a lot because of the sugar. This is why I prefer to barbecue them rather than stick them in the oven, though if you have a good hood vent it should be fine.. mine isn’t the best so my house gets pretty smokey!
- They appear to ‘burn’ because of the sugar, but trust me, the blackened crispy edges are sooo good!
- They are so, so delicious you may not be able to stop eating until they are completely gone. This has happened to me every single time I have made them. It’s crazy.
What goes with Yam Fries?
These Epic Yam Fries with Chipotle Mayo go with a ton of other dishes. Here are a few of my favourites!
Love this recipe? Check out these next:
Subscribe to Mama Bear’s monthly newsletter to stay up to date with the latest and greatest recipes!
Pin this for later!
Epic Yam Fries with Chipotle Mayo
Epic Yam Fries
- 1.5 lbs yams
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp chipotle hot sauce
- pinch sea salt
- Mixing Bowl
- Tin Foil (if barbecuing)
or Baking Sheet (if baking)
- Cooking Spray Oil
- Heat barbecue or oven to 400° and spray a piece of tin foil or a baking sheet with cooking spray. Chop yams into wedges and toss in the mixing bowl with the other yam fry ingredients.
- Lay the yam fries evenly on the tin foil or baking sheet. If barbecuing add an extra sheet of tin foil and make a 'boat'. Toss on the barbecue and cook for 20 minutes, flipping half way. Or bake in the oven for 20 minutes, flipping half way.
- Mix the chipotle mayo ingredients together. The yam fries are done when they are nice and crispy, and will have blackened edges from the sugar!